Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Akira1980

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 27, 2007
San Diego
I have a Gmail set up in my iPhone. But for some reason when ever I send a email using the Gmail account, it sends a copy to my self. How do I turn this off? I checked both phone setting and gmail setting on the net and there are no option to turn off this setting.

P.S - it only happend with Gmail. My .mac account is working fine.

VoodooDaddy

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2003
I had this same problem on my Blackberry, I just learned to live with it. But I just found out today that there is some way to delete sent mail immediately after sending which will stop this from happening. Looking through gmail settings though, I dont see where its at.

edit - Looks like you have to make a filter inside gmail to delete messages from yourself.

gollum

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2007
NKY
Mine is doing the same thing, whenever I send an email from my laptop, a copy of the sent email shows up on my iPhone. :confused:

jshbckr

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
It's because of how Gmail threads "conversations."

Gmail's system auto sends your e-mail back to you, but their online mail client makes this invisible, until the person responds to you. That's why it will say "John, me." You can see both your sent e-mail and the reply in your inbox, threaded together into one item.

The iPhone doesn't thread the conversations like this, so you see both your message and the person's repsonse as a individual e-mails.

infamous

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2007
Los Angeles
It's because of how Gmail threads "conversations."

Gmail's system auto sends your e-mail back to you, but their online mail client makes this invisible, until the person responds to you. That's why it will say "John, me." You can see both your sent e-mail and the reply in your inbox, threaded together into one item.

The iPhone doesn't thread the conversations like this, so you see both your message and the person's repsonse as a individual e-mails.

yup, oh well, i just live with it.

Racktacular

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2006
Obviously I'm an idiot, but can someone explain to me how you are using GMail. When I use gmail, I just go to their website and use it like I normally would on my Macbook. Are some of you guys using a mobile GMail version or POP service to obtain your e-mails? I'm not a business person so I'm certainly not up on all the ways to get e-mails. Can someone enlighten me?

TIA!

- Rack

Akira1980

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 27, 2007
San Diego
Obviously I'm an idiot, but can someone explain to me how you are using GMail. When I use gmail, I just go to their website and use it like I normally would on my Macbook. Are some of you guys using a mobile GMail version or POP service to obtain your e-mails? I'm not a business person so I'm certainly not up on all the ways to get e-mails. Can someone enlighten me?

TIA!

- Rack

First, go log into your gmail with your macbook and go to the settings. And enable the pop mail. Then go to your iPhone email setting and go to "add new account." Insert all the info and you will now get gmail on your iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.