Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aerospace

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2007
post which plans work post & prepaid :)

also a speed test would be cool to compare

b12yan12

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2006
Got it this afternoon. unlocked it with GUI unlocker. fiddled around a bit to make the sms work. now working flawlessly

KYBOSH

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2007
i got youtube working on both iphone today. i used to youtube activation program floating around but found out that the secret to get it to work was to but the phones back in jail.

showtime

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2007
For those using it on t-mobile without a data plan, what happens if you try to connect to the internet when you're not around wifi? Does it still let you connect and charge per amount of data transfered?

fuzzynavo

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2004
CA
For those using it on t-mobile without a data plan, what happens if you try to connect to the internet when you're not around wifi? Does it still let you connect and charge per amount of data transfered?

in my experience it seems like it wont connect. if i'm out of wifi range i'll just get a dialogue saying "cannot connect to edge, you are not subscribed to edge service." the usage stats also say 0 bytes sent and received. so i think it's pretty safe to assume that my phone is not accessing edge at all.

showtime

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2007
in my experience it seems like it wont connect. if i'm out of wifi range i'll just get a dialogue saying "cannot connect to edge, you are not subscribed to edge service." the usage stats also say 0 bytes sent and received. so i think it's pretty safe to assume that my phone is not accessing edge at all.

That's good. I was thinking about using it on t-mobile without the data plan and I don't want it to be constantly trying to send data and racking up usage costs.

Joony

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2005
The guide says:

NOTE: To set up T-Mobile's EDGE, make sure you have the Total Internet Add-On (with or without VPN, to enable VPN you must call Customer Service) enabled on your account (its $19.99/month as of September 12, 07). The $5.99 T-Zones plan WILL NOT work.

...$5.99 t-zones, this won't work, since the iPhone doesn't have proxy settings built in.

What is this proxy settings they speak of?

butisitart

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2007
T-zones will work

The 5.99 plan will not work on the iphone you can't adjust the proxy settings on the iphone

I had installed the iPhone software unlock using the Unlock.app process. After going to Settings>General>Network>EDGE I changed APN to wap.voicestream.com, and deleted the entries in Username & Password, leaving them blank. I disabled my WiFi network to test. Went to Safari & I was able to surf no problem using T-zones/Edge. I also could check mail, use Maps etc. No Problems.

Now mind you, I had already jointed AT&T and activated my phone before all this. Then when I wanted to dump AT&T after a month & go back to T-mobile, I reinitialized my phone & started the Unlock.app process. I had no problems. Worked like a charm.

Now, my partner just bought an iPhone because I was able to unlock mine. His is not able to use Edge yet, even though he too has T-zones. Only difference is ... he never unlocked his phone with AT&T.

Now a few days after unlocking my phone with Unlock.app, my TurboSIM came in. Again, I reset my phone and started with the TurboSIM unlock. That to worked without a hitch. I am able to use my T-zones/Edge no problem.

So draw from this what you like. New phone NOT activated and used on the AT&T edge network ... can't use Edge with T-mobile & T-zones. My iPhone activated with AT&T and used on Edge, then initialized & unlocked with two different methods, can use T-zones. Hmmm ... go figure!

Okay now ....discuss. :)

skyhound

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2007
Help with EDGE data please

Hey guys, I have an iphone working on T-mobile, with voice and Wifi, but I can't get EDGE to work. I added "Total Internet" for $19.99 and they said it will take up to 48 hours to be added, but it's been longer than that and it still says "You are not subscribed to Edge" when I try to access the Internet.

I called TMO and they gave me the AP to enter, but when I try to enter it on the iPhone settings it never saves it, and thus doesn't work.

Help!! The iPhone is great but without EDGE I can't use most the features unless I'm at home.

Tom

alexrs

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2003
Any T-Mobile iPhone users yet?

Happy Apple/T-Mobile user for 5 years and AT&T hater here. Got the iPhone unlocked it FREE by following http://iphone.unlock.no. Got Youtube working using PACAY http://limitededitioniphone.com/youtube-not-working-on-your-iphone-steps-to-fix/. I had T-Mobile Web service before ($5.99) along with Hotspot ($19.99) and couldn't make the iPhone EDGE work. Called TMO CS (611 on my iPhone), upgraded to Total Internet ($19.99), which includes Hotspot so I'm actually saving money. EDGE started working immediately after the call. APN=internet2.voicestream.com (blank user/psw). If this doesn't work for you you may be in a GPRS-only zone.

ekouroptev

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2007
Help!! The iPhone is great but without EDGE I can't use most the features unless I'm at home.

Tom

Bought an iPhone 8GB last night and didn't touch it until this morning. Then activated it and jailed breaked with iNdependence and sim-unlocked with modmyiphone.com's guide. At the end of the guide I saw the already quoted message about the T-Mobile EDGE's Add-on plan and APN name. Went to t-mo's web site, added the Total Internet Add-on online, saw the message about the 48 hours, added the APN name manually to the iPhone and went out. Less then an hour later noticed the "E" letter next to the T-Mobile on the iPhone and tried checking the web. Worked flawlessly, even YouTube. Completely AT&T-less experience.

EDIT: prior to addint Total Internet Add-on had no data plan whatsoever.

ashtnn

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2007
Hey guys, I have an iphone working on T-mobile, with voice and Wifi, but I can't get EDGE to work. I added "Total Internet" for $19.99 and they said it will take up to 48 hours to be added, but it's been longer than that and it still says "You are not subscribed to Edge" when I try to access the Internet.

I called TMO and they gave me the AP to enter, but when I try to enter it on the iPhone settings it never saves it, and thus doesn't work.

Tom

hmm. i went in today to get off my SK3 plan and put on total internet and my EDGE was activated and working within prolly 20 minutes. was at the mall with my mother and sister and nephew so it's not like i had anything better to do than play with the iphone. only problem i has was the first T-Mobile tech support bitch wouldn't give me my EDGE info because she said that she didn't have any info on the iphone...otherwise it works flawlessly. well, that is, aside from the speed :p

oxeneers

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2007
South San Francisco, CA
Sidekick iD user here.

Previously had:
- $39.99/month myFaves plan
- $19.99/month unlimited Sidekick plan

Currently have:
- $39.99/month 600 Individual Value (600 anytime mins, unlimited nights/weekends)
- $19.99/month Total Internet Plan
- $14.99/month Unlimited SMS

So it's $15/more per month, but the internet is FIFTEEN THOUSAND (hah) times faster than the old Sidekick plan. I've gotten speed tests @ iphonenetworktest.com from 138kbps to 177kbps.

I unlocked my 4GB iPhone from the http://www.modmyiphone.com/wiki/ guide and been successful with YouTube working and Total Internet working with EDGE within seconds of getting off the phone with the T-Mobile representative.

This is a hell of a lot better than a Sidekick, for sure.

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
I've got my 8GB iPhone working great on T-Mobile. I'm roaming (and likely will be for most of the phone's life), and EDGE works great. I got the total internet plan, and was wondering if anyone else configured their phone to work at T-Mob hotspots? What are the settings required?

aerospace

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2007
can you get internet with prepaid? i have good credit but no desire for a 2yr contract.

kermit4161

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2006
... I'm roaming (and likely will be for most of the phone's life), and EDGE works great...

I was wondering if you (or anyone out there) are in an area that T-mobile doesn't offer service. I can't even purchase a plan where I live and was wondering (if you knew) what the best way to get an account with them is...

Do I need to use a friend's address in their service area to establish the account, then have them change it to my real address later? Or is there a better way?

Thanks

carfac

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2006
t-zones $5.99 works...including youtube...got my iphone 9/14 and should take no more than 30mins to unlock from opening the package to making calls and surfing the web with t-zone

http://www.hackint0sh.org/forum/showthread.php?t=6365&page=2

tashafa, you da man! (And I take back all the nasty things I have said about newbie posts!)

That was a scary bit of a hack, but it works like a charm!

Last night, bought an iPhone at 6:30. Up and running on t_Mobile by 8 PM. This morning, signed up for TZones 5.99 at 9 AM, and I am now on EDGE t-mobile.

All is good!

aerospace

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2007
what exactly does tzones offer? i went to tmobile.com but its kinda vague. you get limited net feeds and email or real internet?

carfac

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2006
what exactly does tzones offer? i went to tmobile.com but its kinda vague. you get limited net feeds and email or real internet?

Aero:

I get full Internet connectivity- Safari, Maps, You Tube, etc- basically, all you need for the phone. It does NOT include hotspots- if that is iportant to you, you have to get Total Internet.

Dave

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.