Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

guifa

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 19, 2002
Auburn, AL
Is there anyway to change this? The only way I could change the description of imported video tracks is via applescript, but there's no property for a track called release date. But when I list TV shows on the iPod, it says "No production date" (or something like it, mine is set to Spanish so not sure of the English exactly).

I'm one of the OCD freaks that has to have all my tags filled out as completely as possible and this is driving me mad... surely there's some way to do this?

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
I thought the "release date" field was only accessible to Podcasts. Interesting.

There are some fields that are not accessible to users to change information, which is frustrating, but I think that's one of them.

guifa

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 19, 2002
Auburn, AL
I agree that some of iTunes's fields are a bit annoying. I mean, why can't I change the date of an MP4 video I've created? (btw, Lostify did the trick, thanks!) Or for that matter, why can't a song or album have a specific release date? While Quicktime allows you to tag things for director/producer, etc, I think iTunes should also have tags for full album/screen creds, actors, artists, musicians, etc or even mixer / featured musician/actor/guest star.

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
I think the reason it doesn't is because there aren't set in-file metadata structures for that sort of information. So, while technically iTunes (or even the Finder, though those capabilities aren't exposed at the GUI level nor integrated into Spotlight) could support arbitrary extensible metadata, that information couldn't travel with the file. So they restrict the fields to what's supported by the tagging supported by that file.

alsyerpal

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2011
A little late for this thread but I managed to do this. I wanted to change the release date from 11-03-26 to 11-03-06 so I loaded the mp3 in text edit and searched for 26. Turns out there is a lot of 26's in an mp3 but I found it a little way down from the top. Then I loaded the "iTunes Music Library.xml" file and searched on the podcast name and found a field for the release date. Then I deleted then re-added it to the Podcast to the library and that fixed it. I don't know if all these steps are necessary but it worked and I don't feel like experimenting any further. You may be able to just change the file date then delete/re-add it to the library.

jessed

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2008
A little late for this thread but I managed to do this. I wanted to change the release date from 11-03-26 to 11-03-06 so I loaded the mp3 in text edit and searched for 26. Turns out there is a lot of 26's in an mp3 but I found it a little way down from the top. Then I loaded the "iTunes Music Library.xml" file and searched on the podcast name and found a field for the release date. Then I deleted then re-added it to the Podcast to the library and that fixed it. I don't know if all these steps are necessary but it worked and I don't feel like experimenting any further. You may be able to just change the file date then delete/re-add it to the library.

This worked for me - I found a duplicated the file, then deleted it from iTunes (through iTunes - send to trash) - dragged the duplicate to another folder, opened the audio file in text-edit, did a search for 08-17 (august 17) and got the one result I needed - changed the date, saved it, then dragged it back to iTunes - perfect solution - alsyrepal

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.