Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tennismanclay

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 11, 2007
US-Texas
Yesterday i had to babysit my cousin, and he was watching one of the new serious called iCarly or something. Anyways they had to check something on the computer and they had a macbook pro, but whenever you saw the front, the apple logo was covered up by something, i think it was a sticker of a pear.

I have seen this many times on the disney channel where they cover up the apple logo on the front with a sticker or a star or something.

I'm sure there's a reason they do it but i was just wondering.

-Clay

webgoat

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2007
Austin, TX
same thing on extreme makeover home edition... its obviously a macbook pro with a small rectangle covering the apple ... i'm assuming they tried to get apple to pay them in order to show it and they didn't bite

squeeks

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2007
Florida
still...disney practically owns apple now (ok not really) or is it apple owns disney??? (ok not really that either)

but disney dose own pixar now, and im sure everyone knows who founded pixar...

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
It's something that's done in many TV shows and films – for one reason or another, the makers don't want to go flashing logos around. After all, why do it for free when there are plenty of companies who are happy to pay you to use their products? ;)

Here in the UK, there are actually rules in place governing product placement on TV shows (mainly the BBC but I think there may be rules in place for independent channels too). In fact, the BBC got a good telling off a few years back for featuring logo covered products too prominently, one of the transgressions centered around the glowing logos on Apple hardware being on clear display in one of its dramas.

squeeks

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2007
Florida
same thing on extreme makeover home edition... its obviously a macbook pro with a small rectangle covering the apple ... i'm assuming they tried to get apple to pay them in order to show it and they didn't bite

then they just overlay the video on top of the lcd lol they dont really even use the laptop

jmpmntwnty3

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2007
South Carolina
Yeah, companies play big bucks for product placement. I've seen some movies where every single computer you see in the movie is a mac. Macbook pros, macbooks, imacs, etc.

And I've even seen movies with ALL motorola phones, or ALL phones on tmobile.

To answer webgoat's question, Disturbia has macs all over the place. Shia Leabeauf's character had a macbook pro and an iMac.

John Tucker Must die also has macs everywhere.

I forget the name of the movie, but it's about a group of high school graduates creating a "fake college." They have macs all over the place too.

Attachments

• disturbia-movie23.jpg
    disturbia-movie23.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 402
  • 2006_john_tucker_must_die_019.jpg
    2006_john_tucker_must_die_019.jpg
    734.8 KB · Views: 460

Retired
May 16, 2006
I forget the name of the movie, but it's about a group of high school graduates creating a "fake college." They have macs all over the place too.

There are tons of films and shows with Apple products, some of which have the logo covered up (e.g. Scrubs)...that film was "Accepted", with Justin Long of "I'm a Mac" fame :)

jmpmntwnty3

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2007
South Carolina
There are tons of films and shows with Apple products, some of which have the logo covered up (e.g. Scrubs)...that film was "Accepted", with Justin Long of "I'm a Mac" fame :)

Yeahhh that's the name! And you know what? I've seen that movie so many times and I've seen that commercial so many times and I NEVER gathered that that's the same guy!

Oh, and I know there are tons with the logo covered up. hehe I was just listing the ones with the :apple: logo displayed.

Ken Wind

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2006
Queer as Folk and Entourage are two more shows that have no qualms about flaunting their Apples.

OldSkoolNJ

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2006
If you want to see blatant Apple Product Placement then watch Blade 3 and count! You coul dhave an apple product placement drinking game and be gone before the first cheesey line from Wesley Snipes.

Kevin :apple:

dacreativeguy

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2007
One of the worst modification to remove the Apple I've seen was on Will and Grace, I think. It looked as if they cut a circle in the Aluminum of the 15" powerbook to cut out the Apple logo on the back of the screen. Then they inserted a new translucent piece of white plastic or just kept the old piece. The hole was huge, not centered, and ugly.

On another note, Sex and the City prominently featured the upside down Apple logo on Carrie's G3 powerbook. If I'm not mistaken, that may have been the inspiration to rotate the Apple on all future notebooks. They got great screen time on that show but the logo was always upside down!

squeeks

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2007
Florida
add "How I met your mother" to the list of shows that cover up the apple logo :(

they do use a MBP on there every so often and its covered up by some logo...

yup, barney was using one in tonight's episode and it was covered with a sticker of the globe

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
yup, barney was using one in tonight's episode and it was covered with a sticker of the globe

There have been a few episodes with Barney doing this. It sort of irks me, but then again, advertising does make the world go round; wouldn't want to mess with that would I?

squeeks

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2007
Florida
There have been a few episodes with Barney doing this. It sort of irks me, but then again, advertising does make the world go round; wouldn't want to mess with that would I?

yup, i like the apple logo too, im always excited to see famous people using my laptop hehe

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
yup, i like the apple logo too, im always excited to see famous people using my laptop hehe

Me too:) Though TV seems to have a good share of Mac users: better than the average population anyways. It always amazes me, if what celebrities do is popular, why haven't Macs taken over the world yet:confused::D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.