Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hagjohn

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 27, 2006
Pennsylvania
iTunes 7.4.3 .. when I try to open it in Vista 64, I get.....

iTunes was not properly installed. If you wish to import or burn CDs, you need to reinstall iTunes.

any solutions...

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Any 64-bit version of Windows is not supported so you should expect certain things not to work. From Apple's iTunes page the Windows requirements are:

32-bit editions of Windows XP or Vista
Windows XP Service Pack 2 or later required for Apple TV or iPhone
500 MHz Pentium class processor or better
QuickTime 7.1.6 or later (included)
256MB RAM
Supported CD-R or DVD-R drive to burn CDs
Broadband Internet connection (DSL/Cable/LAN) for buying and streaming music

deanis

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2007
Figures!!

Any 64-bit version of Windows is not supported so you should expect certain things not to work. From Apple's iTunes page the Windows requirements are:

32-bit editions of Windows XP or Vista
Windows XP Service Pack 2 or later required for Apple TV or iPhone
500 MHz Pentium class processor or better
QuickTime 7.1.6 or later (included)
256MB RAM
Supported CD-R or DVD-R drive to burn CDs
Broadband Internet connection (DSL/Cable/LAN) for buying and streaming music

I was willing to accept that when I purchased my iPhone that it was not supported on Windows x64. I have had an iPod for a looooong time now, and was successfully using it with Windows Vista x64. The iphone came along, and now I couldn't sync it with the same computer I was using to manage my library. So, i thought, what the hell, alright no big deal, now I have to use my work laptop to manage my itunes library, no big deal, I have my music files stored on a Network Attached Storage device, I can deal with that. I could still use itunes on my Windows x64 machine, could still sync my 20gb video ipod, but had to use my work laptop to sync my iPhone.

Now there's features "magically" disappearing from the x64 version. Wouldn't you expect that since we will all eventually be on x64 that companies would plan ahead for supporting x64, rather than using the typical response "It's not supported", look at the system requirements on the box. That response infuriates me! :mad:

deanis

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2007
Found a solution

iTunes 7.4.3 .. when I try to open it in Vista 64, I get.....

iTunes was not properly installed. If you wish to import or burn CDs, you need to reinstall iTunes.

any solutions...

Here's what to do:

1. iTunes is installed just fine, so don't worry.

2. go to http://www.gearsoftware.com/support/drivers.cfm and download the proper version for your setup (the top one for 32bit versions, the middle for 64bit ones).
3. that should do it, when you look in the preferences under itunes, go to the "advanced" tab and click the "burning" tab. you should see you're burner listed there and itunes will stop giving you that warning message.

hagjohn

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 27, 2006
Pennsylvania
Thank you both for your constructive replies... Loaded the Gear driver and all's fine.

Here's what to do:

1. iTunes is installed just fine, so don't worry.

2. go to http://www.gearsoftware.com/support/drivers.cfm and download the proper version for your setup (the top one for 32bit versions, the middle for 64bit ones).
3. that should do it, when you look in the preferences under itunes, go to the "advanced" tab and click the "burning" tab. you should see you're burner listed there and itunes will stop giving you that warning message.

vistachj

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2007
Hey when I try to download the fix from the link. It will not load. Is there something I am forgetting because its coming from a ftp://?

MrAndrew

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2007
I Would have to agree

This bothered me for a long time too. I am not disappointed but surprised that apple doesn't throw a fix out there such as the one we downloaded!!! Thanks you computer genius cracker hackers!!!! Who do I owe $$$$ to? =)

cblackburn

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2005
London, UK
Now there's features "magically" disappearing from the x64 version. Wouldn't you expect that since we will all eventually be on x64 that companies would plan ahead for supporting x64, rather than using the typical response "It's not supported", look at the system requirements on the box. That response infuriates me! :mad:

"It's not supported" is a perfectly fair statement. It is not apples responsibility to code the Microsoft CD-ROM drivers, which I assume are the items at fault here. If you bought a petrol car, drove it to an Esso garage and put a tankful of Diesel in it, and then shouted at the Esso attendant that your car was not working he'd just look at you strangely and say something to the effect of "It's not supported". You could argue all day that Diesel is the fuel of the future because it gets you higher milage, the engines last longer and the fuel is easier to obtain from bio-alternatives. This does not change the fact that your car does *NOT* support diesel fuel.

As a software developer I'm so sick of people being so short sighted as to blame all faults in software immediately on the foreground app. I spend many an hour grappling with inherent bugs in both Microsoft Windows and Mac OS X which should never have existed. Just because they should not exist doesn't stop your app failing. In such situations it's perfectly acceptable to day "It's not supported" until the developer of the OS sorts itself out.

Chris

walras

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2010
i get the same error, but installing Gear drivers doesn't fix it.

I recently had IT come re-image my laptop. Now I have Win 7 (32 bit). I installed iTunes 9.1.1.12 and synced it with my iPhone. Sync appeared to work just fine. However, now I get this error each time I start: "iTunes was not installed properly. If you wish to burn or import CDs please reinstall iTunes." I reinstalled iTunes, but that doesn't fix it. I installed the Gear drivers, but that doesn't fix it. I imported a CD and had no trouble or indication of problems, so it seems like my drive is working fine. Not sure what to do, but the error is quite annoying.

Kenyonia

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2011
Is this problem back with IE7, SP1?

So I'm also running a 32-bit version of Windows on a Sony Vaio, and now having this problem, as is another member of my family also running Windows on an Asus laptop. Here are things we've done recently in common:

(1) Installed the latest Windows 7 SP1 (and other random upgrades as part of the Windows updates)
(2) Run into a problem with accessing our CD drives, so ran the 'fix-it' code at http://support.microsoft.com/mats/cd_dvd_drive_problems/en-us ("Your CD or DVD drive can't read or write media")
(3) Installed a new version of Norton Internet Security

Of these, I suspect (2) is the culprit, although I'm not sure why (or why our CDs both stopped working, unless it had something to do with removing an expired version of Norton).

We uninstalled iTunes and Quicktime, rebooted, ran Norton Utilities registry cleaner, reinstalled iTunes, and still get this same error.

ikeygrl14

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2012
wow !

omg i could kiss you ! i was so ready to toss this out the window i tried to sneak around itunes and rip my new stuff else where but nothing i clicked the fix it link and there was the issue... im still getting that message :confused: but still imported so well have to see what happens if i reinstall itunes tommorow thanks again was the simplest fastest way to help me out

So I'm also running a 32-bit version of Windows on a Sony Vaio, and now having this problem, as is another member of my family also running Windows on an Asus laptop. Here are things we've done recently in common:

(1) Installed the latest Windows 7 SP1 (and other random upgrades as part of the Windows updates)
(2) Run into a problem with accessing our CD drives, so ran the 'fix-it' code at http://support.microsoft.com/mats/cd_dvd_drive_problems/en-us ("Your CD or DVD drive can't read or write media")
(3) Installed a new version of Norton Internet Security

Of these, I suspect (2) is the culprit, although I'm not sure why (or why our CDs both stopped working, unless it had something to do with removing an expired version of Norton).

We uninstalled iTunes and Quicktime, rebooted, ran Norton Utilities registry cleaner, reinstalled iTunes, and still get this same error.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.