Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cheesyme

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 9, 2007
Cali
The touch screen on mine is unresponsive, ever since I got it, 80% of the time, but somehow "slide to unlock" always seem to respond. I have installed 1.1.1.

Only bought it for 4 days... The store which i bought it at is willing to replace a new one for me BUT THEY DON'T HAVE IT IN STOCK.
I went to apple service centre, they can replace for me but THEY DON'T HAVE IT IN STOCK, and can't guarantee that it won't be a refurbished one. Then I called apple, and they said they are willing to replace it ONLY IF i had bought it from their website, which I didn't.

I know that's a "normal" practice for apple, but I can't believe that when they release a new product, their service and support unit is not ready to handle issues like replacements.

I'm thinking about videotaping the unrepsonsive ipod touch and post it on youtube.
It's gonna be named "ipod touchless" or something like that.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
I had a guy come in tonight who just bought an iPod Touch and found that it had totally non working multitouch. Of course, we had a few left so he was lucky and came and exchanged it.

I know that's a "normal" practice for apple, but I can't believe that when they release a new product, their service and support unit is not ready to handle issues like replacements.
As much as I feel for you, the store you bought it from (who bought it from Apple) is responsible for replacing the defective unit. If they don't have any extra in stock that stinks for sure but that's life. Why not get your money back and buy one elsewhere?

aidanpendragon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2005
Only bought it for 4 days... The store which i bought it at is willing to replace a new one for me BUT THEY DON'T HAVE IT IN STOCK.
I went to apple service centre, they can replace for me but THEY DON'T HAVE IT IN STOCK, and can't guarantee that it won't be a refurbished one. Then I called apple, and they said they are willing to replace it ONLY IF i had bought it from their website, which I didn't.

Judging by your spelling, are you in the UK?

If not - I've been in a similar situation in the U.S. Bad unit, store said "we'd exchange, but we're out - so call Apple." Indeed, Apple set up a replacement based on the in-store recommendation.

So, at least in the U.S., they can do it. Not surprising that Apple might not tell people consistently what it can and can't do. The trick may be "the store told me so."

Other option another poster suggested: get your money back and buy elsewhere.

eaglescout

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2009
I just got a BRAND NEW iPod 2nd gen. Today and the same thing happened to me. Touch screen wont work and iPod will open random apps without me touching anything. It has a mind of its own. Sleep/Wake DOES work though

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.