Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

burnhamish

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 12, 2007
Background: Just bought a MBP after YEARS of being a Windows user. I got to know my way around Windows and PCs pretty well. The last monitor I bought was a Samsung 970P LCD (DVI) with NO external buttons for brightness, contrast, geometry, etc. - everything is controlled through software called "Magictune". I accept full responsibility for a poor purchasing decision.

I attach this monitor, which works beautifully in general, to my MBP, and it works, except I have no control of brightness or contrast through the display properties in System Preferences- only the screen size and color depth. Samsung's Magictune application for Mac is not compatible with the graphics card in the MBP. The level II tech at Samsung suggested I try to control the monitor features from the graphics card, but he is only familiar with Windows/PC methods. Figures.

Being a Mac OS newbie, I need to know:

Can I go deeper into the graphics card properties and actually control brightness and contrast for the external display, better than I can through System Preferences? My last resort is to purchase a new monitor, but I would like to avoid that if possible.

burnhamish

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 12, 2007
Custom Calibration

I was going to perform a custom calibration on the monitor, but stopped at the first step when it asks to adjust the brightness to "full" and the contrast until the square is black... realizing I cannot adjust those things. The square looks pretty dark, but there is still some distinction compared to the border.

Should I just proceed regardless? I have performed calibrations on my PCs with Adobe Gamma, and this seems like the same process.

FJ218700

macrumors 68000
Mar 8, 2007
Blue Dot, Red State
I was going to perform a custom calibration on the monitor, but stopped at the first step when it asks to adjust the brightness to "full" and the contrast until the square is black... realizing I cannot adjust those things. The square looks pretty dark, but there is still some distinction compared to the border.

Should I just proceed regardless? I have performed calibrations on my PCs with Adobe Gamma, and this seems like the same process.

I generally disregard those instructions. I set it the best I can via the monitor controls, then use the custom calibration to make it better. The gamma adjustment in the first step is the most important IMO

burnhamish

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 12, 2007
I suspected that any adjustment not handled adequately by the manual controls could be compensated for in the calibration, within reason.

In the event that I am not satisfied with this monitor in the end, I would probably get a new one, and bigger than 19". Are the Dell Ultrasharps really worth the praise I've seen in some other threads? I can't justify the cost of a 23" ACD, when the Dell 24" is so much less expensive (and pivots).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.