Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lazymej

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2007
Hi everyone. I read somewhere that if you run windows under bootcamp, windows doesn't control your fans properly and your computer can overheat? Is that true? I'm using a C2D Macbook Pro. Thanks in advance.

IamNobody

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2007
smcFanControl

As long as you don't block the vents at the back of your MBP (hard to do), you should be fine with the default setting. The MBP still controls the fan OK, even though it may get a bit toasty.

I use SMC Fan Control on my MBP. If I'm running something intensive, like a heavy graphic game in Windows, I set the Fan control a little higher in OSX. When I switch to Boot Camp, the fan speed remains at that setting.

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
Hi everyone. I read somewhere that if you run windows under bootcamp, windows doesn't control your fans properly and your computer can overheat? Is that true? I'm using a C2D Macbook Pro. Thanks in advance.

My Mac Pro always sounds the same regardless of whether I'm running Vista or OS X. I run Vista from Boot Camp.

I say you should be fine.

Trepex

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2007
Ottawa, Canada
You'll be fine. Apple officially supports this mode of operation and although I have seen a number of reports that the fans run louder, your machine is in no danger.

rrijkers

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2007
The Netherlands
I am even getting darker edges since the heat of the laptop is getting onto the lcd screen. I need to cool it like very much! But i don't know how. Gonna try that smcfanconrol tip :rolleyes:

This works - set your fan speed in mac os with the smc fancontrol - then boot into xp and have a cool xp when playing gfx games! :)

RevToTheRedline

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2007
I use SMC Fan Control on my MBP. If I'm running something intensive, like a heavy graphic game in Windows, I set the Fan control a little higher in OSX. When I switch to Boot Camp, the fan speed remains at that setting.

This is exactly what I do, but I use it on a iMac, and I use windows 99.99% of the time for heavy gaming, so I set the fans in OSX to about half speed, then restart to XP.

Just a little note, the fan speeds from SMC will stay the same if you reboot, if you shut down they will reset. To anyone that was wondering about that.

karenflower

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2007
input remaper is for MBP how cool my IMAC ? :mad:

I don't know about your iMac, sorry, have you tried it anyway? Also desktop computers are less prone to overheating, have you been tracking the temperatures?

Hope you find what you want!

w00t951

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
I have Windows Vista 32 bit, but for some strange reason, the fans keep revving up to around 5000 or 6000 RPM. During the login screen. I disabled the Windows Glass effects and made it look like Windows 2000, but it still revs up.

Gav Mack

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2008
Sagittarius A*
Cos Windows solely uses the 9600 GT it heats up far more than running the 9400 in Leopard, particularly near the left hand speaker on my 15 unibody. Windows 7 seems to heat up far less than XP did, but bearing in mind the thermal problems Nvidia has had with their GPU's over the past two years I thought it prudent to spend £30 on a Zalman notebook cooler which does the job nicely.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.