Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ice-Cube

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2006
Somewhere over the rainbow
As quoted from the link:

A friend wrote that the whole top section of his iPhone is dead. It doesn’t register any touch at all. Investigating further, it appears that some iPhone touchscreens have started failing. Symptoms begin with lack of touch response in either the top or bottom strip. The problem is being referred to as dead strip.

IntoMobile.com says that Nomura International analyst Richard Windsor released a note to clients indicating that the iPhone’s “dead strip” display problem could become more widespread.

Apple bought the rights to the screen technology used in the iPhone from a Finnish firm. Finnish firm reported that usage led to the same unresponsive display problems after some time. Apparently, 3 to 6 months of “extensive use” would start to degrade the technology and cause a lose of sensitivity to touch-inputs. This suggests that the relatively new iPhone fleet in the US could start to exhibit similar problems with time.

Forum users at Apple Insider and MacRumors are complaining of a “dead strip” starting to plague some iPhones. The “dead strip” on iPhone’s multi-touch display loses sensitivity to all touch-inputs. Explains one forum user,

First the very bottom of the screen went out so I could not hit the space-bar on the keyboard, or change to the number/character screen. Then it got worse a few days later, now I cannot hit any of the main function buttons.

Anyone experiencing this? This is a huge drawback for me. I didnt know the problem existed till I read this. Link Here : http://blogs.zdnet.com/Apple/?p=944

jepaz

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2007
USA
I was temporarily at a lost with your thread title until I read the article.

It should be Unresponsive iPhone and touch screens

Zer0

macrumors regular
May 22, 2007
oops.. looks like its happening to my iPhone! They keyboard does not register the "P" key when i'm typing in landscape mode! And guess what I'm using a jailbroken iPhone far away from all the coutries blessed with the iPhone :(

So? Am I screwed? Cuz I'm guessing, even if I get apple to replace my phone, it is going to be a 1.1.3, and it will be useless to me unless jailbroken! :confused:

PaddyFowler

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2007
Well, this sounds precisely like what's wrong with my new ipod touch.
Just arrived yesterday, gave it a 10 min charge then powered it up (while still charging).

Bottom 4 buttons couldn't be clicked - if i died trying.
Tried calculater - same thing (bottom of the screen), tried keyboard as well and same problem.

I left it into an authorised apple seller today for diagnostics. I'm told that there is damage at the dock connector (even though no physical damage present).

Could it be i'm suffering from a dead strip at the bottom of the screen????

samh004

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2004
Australia
Sounds like an isolated problem, or at least something akin to dead pixels on big-ass screens.

I can't imagine a report like this will help Apple's stock, especially if it turns out that there isn't a problem at all.

Green2Delta

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2007
This happened to my touch also. After restoring it and still getting no response, I took it in to a local Apple store. They couldn't get it to work either, so they just replaced it on the spot. I was pretty pleased with the customer service, given that this is the first Apple product I've ever owned.

drgaldo

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2007
Iphone touch screen not responding

:apple:Hola
I hope you can help me.
My husband bought me an iphone as a surprise (from the States) version 1.0.2, 1C28. We live in Saudi Arabia and he took it to be unlock, which worked perfectly well until it fell on my hands.
I'm a gadget freak and started inventing and doing anything and everything I read on the net you could do to the phone, including trying the update thing to 1.1.1 and there came the problem.
Before I knew that if you do this upgrade to a hacked iphone it will make it unusable there I was poking the poor thing and I forgot to set it to never lock too.
So now it doesn't respond to NOTHING literally, I've tried discharging and recharging, reset, both buttons, 1 button, the touch screen is completly blocked I can't even try to fix what I've done the only thing left is just flush it down the toilet.
Please help me I'm going crazy it's such a cute, addictive, amazing, lovable poking device I can't live without HIM now that I got it, Help me please.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.