Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Luis Ortega

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 10, 2007
I bought a copy of Disk Warrior but I'm not sure how best to use it.
I recall reading that it can't do repairs on the same volume that it is installed on.
Is that correct? If so, it won't be useful to install it to my Mac hd.
Should I install it on my bootable clone image on my external hard drive in case that I need to use it to repair my Mac hd?
Should I not install it at all and just use the cd to run it if I have a problem?
If it's only on the cd, how could I boot up into it if I need to repair the Mac hd?
Is it useful to run for periodic maintenance or just for disk problems? If so, is it able to run maintenance features on the same volume that it is installed on?
My thinking is to install it on my Mac hd for periodic maintenance and also on the bootable clone on the external hd for emergency repairs but I don't know enough about it to decide intelligently.
Thanks a lot for any advice.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
I bought a copy of Disk Warrior but I'm not sure how best to use it. ...
It wouldn't hurt you to read the manual. You don't seem to know what DiskWarrior is or what it is used for. DiskWarrior is not a general maintenance utility. The commandline utility, fsck (File System Check), run in Single-User Mode is probably your best bet for disk repair. For minor repairs, there is Disk Utility. If you want to spend some money, then TechTools Pro won't hurt. DiskWarrior is a file recovery utility that recovers files by rebuilding damaged directories.

As for whether or not you should run DW from your startup hard drive or boot from a CD/DVD, it is always best to run utilities of this sort from an volume other than your startup drive. This minimizes changes to your drive and improves your chances of recovering your lost files. Even though it is better to use a different drive, DiskWarrior will work OK when run from the boot drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.