Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skasol

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 20, 2007
I have tried the different solutions here in the forum and nothing seems to help, I tried resetting the smc, I checked the optical drive cables, I also tried different memory, my fans are extremely loud and I don't know what to do, they are very loud, not a little noise but very loud. please help, they don't seem to idel down, specially the rear one, it just sounds like a hovering or a turbine, I am not exagerating, it's extremely loud, at just idle, I am not doing anything with it at all.

any help would be appreciate it, it's a 2.66 mac pro with 1gb of ram and a 500gb hd.

mikee1979

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2006
Do you have the ati x1900 card? I thought mine was loud but realised it was only loud on graphic intensive stuff mainly games and realised it must be the card, so I replaced it with an artic cooler (only£11) and now it's quiet. also try zapping PRAM (forget the keys something like alt+command+P+R at the starup) that helped make my DVD drive quieten down maybe it could help your fans.

skasol

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 20, 2007
Do you have the ati x1900 card? I thought mine was loud but realised it was only loud on graphic intensive stuff mainly games and realised it must be the card, so I replaced it with an artic cooler (only£11) and now it's quiet. also try zapping PRAM (forget the keys something like alt+command+P+R at the starup) that helped make my DVD drive quieten down maybe it could help your fans.

I actually took it to the apple store for repair, they said something about my motherboard. thanks for the help

Luis Ortega

macrumors 65816
May 10, 2007
I had some Mac Pros at work which had fans that went into very loud overdrive and then started to have kernel panics. The IT people had to replace the ram which was faulty and in one case they also had to reinstall the system. In our case it wasn't the motherboard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.