Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sprynmr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
Anyone know if there is anyway to upgrade my MBP 17" core duo to wireless N? I would really appreciate the speed, and my base station is N... but I don't want to void my warranty, especially when I'm thinking about buying the extended warranty.

Best,
Robert

MacinDoc

macrumors 68020
Mar 22, 2004
The Great White North
Did the last 2 posters even check the link I posted? You just need to put a wireless N ExpressCard in the MBP's ExpressCard slot.

Can't guarantee you won't have to buy the matching router though.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia

MacinDoc is correct. If you want to avoid voiding the warranty, an ExpressCard is your only option. (Although you can do it without buying the whole router.)

If you're willing to open your notebook, you can try to find Apple part number 661-4060 or 603-9452-A or MA688, (I've seen all three,) which is for the Mac Pro AirPort card. It uses the same physical connector inside the computer (mini PCI Express,) and has the same antenna connectors as the Core Duo MBP, and Mac OS X recognizes it as a valid Apple 802.11n card just fine.

Installing it may or may not void the warranty. Should you have issues with the card installed, I would definitely put the original card back in before taking the computer to Apple.

Unfortunately, even though the list price for the Mac Pro AirPort card is only about $49, stores that are willing to sell it to you 'bare' charge a noticeable markup. (I've seen it for over $100.)

creator2456

macrumors 68000
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago
The expresscard is the only way without opening your mbp.

Has anyone done the upgrade to their airport card? How hard is it (scale 1-10, 1 being it can be done in your sleep, 10 being sweating balls hoping it works)?

crzdmniac

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2007
I'd say it's easier than upgrading the hard drive, just pop the top, it's on the left side above the hard drive. Remove the antennae, and I believe there's only one screw, and it will pop up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.