Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dudecati

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 8, 2007
Hi All, I'm new to the idea of purchasing an Apple TV and have a basic question that I'm don't seem to be able to find an answer to. Can I play Quicktime files using Apple TV? The person at the Apple store said that since iTunes can play Quicktime files I can but I have had no luck in getting iTunes to playback my content. So was I given incorrect info or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks!

Cave Man

macrumors 604
Only certain types of files can be played on the ATV. ATV uses Quicktime for playback, thus it's use is restricted to the codecs that it supports. I can't tell you all of them, but certainly it will play MPEG4 H.264 files. You can use Handbrake to convert DVD VOB files to ATV format, or you can use Visual Hub to convert a variety of files to ATV-compatible ones.

AppleNinja

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2007
you need to convert them ... you can use moviepod for ipods or you can torrent some nice software for converting handbrake is probably the best bet for your problem... just use a disc emulator and then handbrake and your set :) have fun

NightStorm

macrumors 68000
Jan 26, 2006
Whitehouse, OH
you need to convert them ... you can use moviepod for ipods or you can torrent some nice software for converting handbrake is probably the best bet for your problem... just use a disc emulator and then handbrake and your set :) have fun

For this particular problem, Handbrake is not the solution you would want. If you have an incompatible Quicktime file, you'd need to use something else (Quicktime Pro, VisualHub, etc).

tronic72

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2007
I second that...

For this particular problem, Handbrake is not the solution you would want. If you have an incompatible Quicktime file, you'd need to use something else (Quicktime Pro, VisualHub, etc).

I agree, HandBrake is the wrong tool for that. Visual Hub is the best for changing formats.

rogov

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2007
iTunes has an option to "Convert Selection to AppleTV". I presume any Quicktime movie iTunes can recognize can also be converted to AppleTV.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.