Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sigamy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 7, 2003
NJ USA
Just got my refurb iMac yesterday. First one was DOA, this one seems to be working fine. A few minor scratches here and there, like on the chrome Apple logo :( but overall OK.

I put a few CDs in the Superdrive just to to test some things. The white "door" drops down and the tray flys out, I put the disc in and press the close button on my keyboard. The tray goes back in, and the door only goes up about two-thirds of the way, it doesn't close completely...just wondering if this is how it is supposed to work or not? If not, is this a big deal that I should worry about and try to get fixed?

Thanks,
Brian

ps-- Its a 17"/1ghz/256/GeForce4 64mb/Superdrive refurb from the Apple Store. This baby is plenty fast even with 256mb!!! I love it! The UI is much faster than on my 700mhz iBook. I'm guessing that the video card is the big benefit here.

radhak

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2003
NJ, USA
Mine closes completely, so yours could be corrected, i guess. At the same time, if you don't have kids at home you should be fine. Its just a cosmetic 'door' and you could always push it in with a finger-push (i hope?).

Balin64

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
In a Mauve Dream
Bummer!

I would find this unacceptable. Call Apple, and keep going up the ladder until they agree to overnight you another system. It would be one thing if this was the first iMac, but the fact that the first one arrived DOA gives you ammo. You payed a lot of money for the Mac. And since Apple prides itself in style/design quality, call them on it.

flyfish29

macrumors 68020
Feb 4, 2003
New HAMpshire
Re: Bummer!

Originally posted by Balin64
I would find this unacceptable. Call Apple, and keep going up the ladder until they agree to overnight you another system. It would be one thing if this was the first iMac, but the fact that the first one arrived DOA gives you ammo. You payed a lot of money for the Mac. And since Apple prides itself in style/design quality, call them on it.

Check out the forum for buying guide and see my post and the replies about my refurbished iMac 17" that was defective upon arrival. I don't think mine ever went through the testing. There was another post in that forum that said their 17" had problems as well. Weird that it is all the 17" 1Ghz imacs that had problems. Someone didn't have their coffee that morning I guess!

Good luck.

John

phlite

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2003
NJ
Sigamy,
I just fixed this "door" problem about an hour ago on my 17" iMac. All I did was blow out the hinges and rollers with a can of Dust Free and now it works perfectly. No more hang ups.
Hopefully this is all your mac needs to close correctly.

David

sigamy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 7, 2003
NJ USA
Thanks David! I'll try that tonight. Hopefully save me from lugging her to the store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.