Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kk05629

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 8, 2007
Greetings...

I have a 2.4 Alu iMac that has multiple user accounts (for each member of the family). I have an external FireWire 800 hard drive set up as a Time Machine backup drive.

When time machine backs up my internal 320gb iMac drive...does it back up the "documents" folder of each user account on the iMac? Or do I need to automatically set up time machine from each user's account?

Any direction is appreciated.

Thanks in advance...Happy Holidays...

fandsw

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2007
Helena, AL
Time machine doesn't know anything about users, it knows partitions and directories. In other words, unless you tell it not to back up a certain directory or disk, it will back it up. If you check your files on the TM backup drive you will see that all the user directories and substructure underneath is there.

kk05629

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 8, 2007
follow-up question...

Thanks for the reply...would I have to go into the "Admin" account I have set up to see the other user's directories to confirm they are being backed up?

Thanks again for your help...

fandsw

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2007
Helena, AL
Thanks for the reply...would I have to go into the "Admin" account I have set up to see the other user's directories to confirm they are being backed up?

Thanks again for your help...

All depends on how you have your permissions and sharing set up for the other users, but yes, I used an admin account to set it up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.