Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rorton

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 6, 2007
Hi

Dont know if this is possible, but am selling on my MacBook, and wanted to reinstall everything (which i have done countless times), but then after the install, run all updates for Leopard, then install iLife from my MacBook DVD, update that, and install some other utilities, then 'reseal' the mac, so when the new user gets the mac, and switches it on for the first time, then get the mac movie, and all the options to enter their name and all the other exciting stuff that happens when you switch a brand new mac on

With windows, you could build the machine, then 'sysprep' it, so the next user that booted was presented with the first start up screen

Thanks

larkost

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2007
You can get the setup window to run again by deleting the file /var/db/.AppleSetupDone. Note that the user you created while setting up the computer will still exist (and have userID 501). Everything would work just fine, there will just be another user there.

But this is actually different from what sysprep does. That prepares the system to be run on a different computer, including hardware specific things, and disabling the Windows activation. None of these things are necessary on the Apple side.

unity

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2005
Green Bay, WI
Just throwing this out there, but is is possible to delete the user if you start-up from the Leopard DVD? So when all is done, just delete the user and see if setup runs again. Not sure if thats a function of a utility like Password Reset.

Or I suppose you could reset the root password, delete the admin account after logging in as root and then delete the file. That should leave no user at all setup, right?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.