Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

g-boac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 7, 2007
I have an HP Photosmart C4280 printer (the one that comes free after rebate) when purchasing a new Mac, and just installed the brand new high-capacity ink cartridges (HP74XL and HP75XL). However, when I go to print, I get a warning from the Mac that the printer is low on ink, and the supply levels show the ink at zero.

Can anybody tell me how to reset the supply levels? And is this something that the Mac OS (Leopard) "actively" assesses from the printer, or is this data that the printer sends to the Mac?

thanks!
Mark

g-boac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 7, 2007
Before I go digging through HP's website and Google, do you have the manual? Have you read it?
Absolutely! Thanks for asking - I actually read the manuals before installing h/w. In the case of the HP4200, it's a good thing, because you need to power up the printer and configure it prior to connecting it to the Mac.

The "manual" that comes with it is actually very basic: a trifold quick start guide, and then a 20-page, multi-lingual "basics" guide.

I'm hunting around right now on HP's website for more information as well. . .no luck yet, but appreciate any help you might be able to offer!

I'm actually visiting family in Detroit for Christmas and bought my mom and dad an iMac for Christmas. So I'm trying to get this thing configured and purring like an engine before heading back home and to the rock pile after New Year's!

thanks!!
Mark

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
I checked the HP's full user guide and there's only one option to reset the printer.

It's sounding more like a Leopard issue.

g-boac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 7, 2007
I checked the HP's full user guide and there's only one option to reset the printer.

It's sounding more like a Leopard issue.
Are you talking about the step where you unplug the printer power cord, press and hold the cancel and copy button, and then plug it back in and turn it on?

If so, I tried this, no success. However, I did notice that I'm getting a message from the printer (on its built-in LCD screen) reading "used cartridges installed. These are brand-new, literally out-of-the-box, genuine HP cartridges. So, I'm guessing that there may be an error with them.

I know that there is some printed flexible ribbon circuitry on the bottom of the cartridges, and I know that the printer somehow identifies or marks the cartridges, because the manual also states that when you install new cartridges, the printer runs you through some steps to "align" them; however, if you were to remove an aligned cartridge after installation, you would not need to align the cartridge because the printer would "remember" it.

So, I'm guessing that something on one or both of these cartridges is jacked up. They work absolutely fine in terms of printing performance, they are simply giving an alert that they are low on ink to the iMac (or any mac on our network) each time we try printing, and the printer ink status window shows that they are empty. I will call HP and post the resolution on here.

Thanks for your help,

Mark

pilotError

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2006
Long Island
I thought this was a known issue with HP printers. I think there's actually a class action getting under way, because someone did a study and found that the errors are coming on when only about 50% of the ink has been used.

They also built in error codes for when you use generic ink.

Not sure if this affects your model or not, I know it was bouncing around the net about 6 months ago.

g-boac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 7, 2007
I thought this was a known issue with HP printers. I think there's actually a class action getting under way, because someone did a study and found that the errors are coming on when only about 50% of the ink has been used.

They also built in error codes for when you use generic ink.

Not sure if this affects your model or not, I know it was bouncing around the net about 6 months ago.
Thanks, I'll keep an eye out for the class action. In the meantime, remember that good SA and a sterile cockpit during critical flight phases are key to reducing pilot error.

regards,
Mark

Frisco

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2002
Utopia
Thanks, I'll keep an eye out for the class action. In the meantime, remember that good SA and a sterile cockpit during critical flight phases are key to reducing pilot error.

regards,
Mark

Sorry for your problem. I can't help, but why not just call HP Tech Support?

g-boac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 7, 2007
Sorry for your problem. I can't help, but why not just call HP Tech Support?
I've actually got an e-mail in to them on this...good suggestion though.

Generally, I try to attack problems from both angles - either this is a problem that savvy mac users have kicked, or its one that the third party vendor can help me with.

In my experience, Mac users tend to be smarter than the latter!

Mark

texan444

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2008
HP C4280 Ink Level Problem

I've actually got an e-mail in to them on this...good suggestion though.

Generally, I try to attack problems from both angles - either this is a problem that savvy mac users have kicked, or its one that the third party vendor can help me with.

In my experience, Mac users tend to be smarter than the latter!

Mark

Mark,

I have exactly the same printer and just bought an iMac. I just ordered a couple of the XL cartridges (they haven't arrived yet) and I'm wondering what you found out from HP regarding this issue.

Thanks,

DK

Gruberman

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2008
Same problem with LaserJet 8150

Hi everyone,
I'm having the same "printer supply reset" issue as others here, even though I'm using an HP 8150 LaserJet. I have a QuadCore G5 running OS X 10.4.11, and just found a new Universal Binary version of HP's LaserJet printing software that supercedes what comes in Tiger.

I thought for sure that installing it would solve my problem, but nope — the problem remains. Every time I print, the SUPPLY button is yellow with a warning exclamation point next to it… even though I replaced the printer cartridge last week with a new one. And those suckers are EXPENSIVE at $200 list, let me tell you! But that's another story.

Anyway, I can't find any method of resetting, or telling the Mac a new cart was installed. Or resetting that on the printer. For my Canon iP90, there's a button right in the Printer Utility that let's me do this, but in HP's case the Utility is strictly limited to JetDirect card issues. *sigh*

I hope someone can figure this out. It's not an earth-shattering problem, just an annoying one. I'd like to have an accurate supply level reading!

pilotError

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2006
Long Island
I have a friend with the same printer. She couldn't print at all until I uninstalled the old drivers and re-installed the new drivers (funny they show up in software update the day after I did it).

Even after the update, a new black cartridge showed up as low also.

Let us know if the update works or not or how this turned out.

MIKEL2

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2008
Reset C4280 Ink Levels

My son purchased a MAC and gave me the free printer. I have also been searching re Resetting ink levels after I came across same problem and found this site very useful;

http://www.misterinkjet.com/hpreset.htm

I am going to try some of the methods suggested on other models as it would appear that the counting is done in the printer itself and is nothing to do with Chip Resetting etc as with other manufacturers. I even un installed and re installed all software but that didn't do the trick after re-filling HP cartridges with own ink so maybe there is a chip in the printer itself which remembers how many pages you have printed. It would be good to know how you reset the machine to base zero without having to go through this malarky. Any way, try the tape solution in link above, who knows it may work!

matthewjhawkins

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2007
follow up

so did anyone ever get this to work? The earlier post said it worked, but how did in fact did you get the cartridge to reset?

please update with details! Thanks

matt

Bob35

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2008
Honolulu
No Ink Level

Has anyone made any progress finding a solution to the problem of ink levels not registering. I bought a new HP 5940 and the color and black cartridges showed up in the print utility indicator of ink level but the color cartridge level did not register. These are new HP cartridges. HP had no solution so I exchanged the printer for another - same model. This time none of the cartridge levels show up in the printer utility.

jamesollor

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2013
United States
Try these steps for resetting your ink level

- turn off printer and remove power cord.
- press and hold power button.
- while pressing power button insert plug the power cable.
-Press resume button 2 times.
- release Power button.

Hope it works

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.