Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Trajectory

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 13, 2005
Earth
Hi, I just bought an LG 32" LCD TV (model 32LB9DB). It has 3 HDMI connections on the back, so, I bought a DVI-HDMI cable and connected that to my PowerMac's DVI port (PowerPC G4, 1.75 GB Ram, ATI Radeon 9000 Pro video card) and then to the TV's HDMI port.

I can see my desktop and everything, but, the image quality is very poor no matter what resolution I choose. It looks like the digital signal is being converted to an analog signal before being displayed, so, text is blurry and the overall image looks very poor, not at all like a computer monitor. It looks like a computer image displayed on an analog TV.

I thought that if the TV had digital video input, I would get a 1:1 pixel resolution when attached to my computer, but, I guess not.

Am I doing something wrong with the setup? I've already looked at all the TV's settings, and tried lots of different ones, but, the image quality doesn't improve. Here's the detail about my Display:

ATI Radeon 9000 Pro:

Chipset Model: ATY,RV250
Type: Display
Bus: AGP
Slot: SLOT-1
VRAM (Total): 64 MB
Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
Device ID: 0x4966
Revision ID: 0x0001
ROM Revision: 113-99702-131​
Displays:
LG TV:

Resolution: 1280 x 1024 @ 75 Hz
Depth: 32-bit Color
Core Image: Not Supported
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Quartz Extreme: Supported
Rotation: Supported
Television: Yes​

Display:

Does the fact that it says "Television: Yes" above mean anything? Is that why the display image is so poor, because the Mac thinks it's a TV and not a digital monitor??

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
I have a MacBook and connect it to my 40" Sony LCD TV via HDMI using the Apple miniDVI to DVI + a DVI to HDMI adadter, and the resolution I get is like a big monitor, I really like it, however my MacBook video board ins't capable to fill the whole screen.

I also have the RCA video adapter and the resolution is good also.

Check on your Mac video setting for details of your settings from your Mac.

I suggest you to try it with another TV set and check if you see a difference.

I think it has to do with your TV and not with your mac. Check your TV pixel size (pitch... I think is what they call it).
________
herb scales

Last edited:

rich007

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2008
Sony LCD to MacBook

Hello McGiord

Your set up sounds exactly like the one I'm trying to get to. I have a MacBook and am trying to connect to a 32" Sony Bravia LCD. I have used a mini-DVI to DVI and then a DVI to HDMI an then into the LCD.

The LCD recognizes Desktop, but the Dock or Menu along the top does not appear. I have tried all sorts of settings on my TV and Mac but no success. Have I missed something obvious?

Thanks

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
Hello McGiord

The LCD recognizes Desktop, but the Dock or Menu along the top does not appear. I have tried all sorts of settings on my TV and Mac but no success. Have I missed something obvious?

Thanks

I do see all the Mac Screen on my TV. I have some pics to show you, but I don't know how to add them to this post.

What I noticed is that if I change a setting via System Preferences : Displays Sony TV, like rotating the screen I loose the Top Menu and the Dock, then after I click the Gather Widnows Button I have 2 Settings windows: one called Color TV and other called SONY TV, I believe the Gather Windows button will allow you to obtain the Menu and the Dock.

Also the Arragement tab inside the SONY TV one will allow yoy to define where you want the top Menu if in your MacBook or in the TV, or if you want your Tv to mirror your MacBook screen.

Then use Front Row and watch some good trailers!

If you know how to upload pics, please let me know, thanks
________
vaporite solo

Last edited:

rich007

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2008
up and running!

Thanks for the advice - it worked a treat and I can now see everything on my LCD!

As far as photos go, the pics i have stored in my iPhoto library all seem to come through no problem on Front Row as well. I didn't mess around with any settings...they were just there in FRont Row to select.

Cheers!

KingYaba

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2005
Up the irons
I loose the Top Menu and the Dock, ts
I had this problem hooking my Macbook Pro up to a Samsung DLP television. Problem was the option "overscan" was checkmarked. Leave the thing unchecked.

Thanks

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    49.5 KB · Views: 181
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.