Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

teazen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
I'm a new mac user, and had used the macbook pro 2.4G with LED backlight for one more month. I find the color gradient is not smooth in secondary primary color to primary color. Please check the upload PNG files. In those patterns you will find many vertical lines. Those will make you see some images with contour or noise by Macbook Pro. I have double check many other PC notebooks. They don't have this issue. It is hard to believe the high-end notebook has such kind of color performance. The color performance is too poor to use the "Pro" title. I feel so disappointed to spend a huge amount of money on the Macbook pro( Poor?).

Attachments

• color_gradient_001.png
    color_gradient_001.png
    74.8 KB · Views: 1,538
  • color_gradient_002.png
    color_gradient_002.png
    74.1 KB · Views: 876
  • color_gradient_003.png
    color_gradient_003.png
    75.7 KB · Views: 1,412
  • color_gradient_004.png
    color_gradient_004.png
    59.4 KB · Views: 9,617
  • color_gradient_005.png
    color_gradient_005.png
    54.3 KB · Views: 17,286

Cancelled
Jul 13, 2008
Hi, I have the exact same model as you and it does have the gradient issue. I think when I ran Windows on this laptop it didn't have such bad colour transition, so I've got a feeling it may be a problem in the Mac OS graphics driver and its dithering process. I may be wrong, though.

My previous MacBook Pro (Core Duo early model with matte LCD) doesn't have the problem. It appears to be only these LED-lit Santa Rosa models. :mad:

The bottom-line is that built-in laptop displays aren't very good with colour depth. If you want accurate and high-quality colour (24-bit), use a pro-standard external LCD, like the Apple Cinema Displays.

I did think that the MacBook 'Pro' should have a better screen, however.

creator2456

macrumors 68000
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago
They appear fairly smooth on my 2.16 Rev A CD 17' MBP. There is only one spot in each image where the gradient 'jumps', but that is expected from a notebook screen.

sukanas

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2007
im currently on a 400 dollar dell laptop w/ ati integrated graphics and its pretty smooth......

im guessing its the graphics driver like the previuos poster mentioned?

Cancelled
Jul 13, 2008
Colour Profile

I've got a feeling that the colour profile (the standard one called 'Color LCD') isn't good for the particular display I have. It's a glossy Samsung, if that makes any difference.

I'm now using the sRGB colour profile (which is best for photo and colour work anyway in most cases) and the gradient issue appears to be gone. I have the Aurora default Leopard desktop wallpaper currently and I see no colour banding. It was awful before.

Oh, and interestingly, I had to select the sRGB profile and then change the desktop again to the Aurora before the picture changed. I think when you change profile it's best to restart Mac OS because everything will start up configured with the newly selected profile (wallpaper, Preview, Safari etc.).

Once you get used to the new profile it should all be good. At first it may seem a little pale and blue (for sRGB anyway), but that's because you're used to the standard profile, which is actually far too washed out and yellow-tinted. With a better profile like the widely accepted sRGB format, you're seeing much more realistic colours.

I hope this helps! :D

thespyglass

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2008
Liverpool UK
I have a MBP 2.2 with LED screen and I just checked it now with your attached pictures and I also notice the vertical lines.
But the vertical lines are actually part of the attached pictures, because they're captured from screen, right? To check for gradient problems you'd have to open/create a gradient file, I think.

I'm only mentioning this because I'm a prospective MBP-owner who likes using Photoshop so I'm interested to see how common this issue is :)

Firefly2002

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2008
But the vertical lines are actually part of the attached pictures, because they're captured from screen, right? To check for gradient problems you'd have to open/create a gradient file, I think.

I'm only mentioning this because I'm a prospective MBP-owner who likes using Photoshop so I'm interested to see how common this issue is :)

Of course they're not part of the attached pictures.

The screen captures are taken from the frame buffer, which has no problems, and presents the data as zeros and ones, quite unaffected by the (18-bit, poorly dithered) quality of the screen.

On a 19" CRT in millions of colors, I see not one single vertical line. At any viewing angle :p

It's an issue with the screen.... or more specifically, the dithering algorithm Apple chose. I don't believe the old PowerBooks used the same algorithm (they used a better one) and so this wouldn't be an issue for them.

These aren't true 24-bit color screens, they're 18-bit color (6-bit R G and B)

thespyglass

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2008
Liverpool UK
Of course they're not part of the attached pictures.

The screen captures are taken from the frame buffer, which has no problems, and presents the data as zeros and ones, quite unaffected by the (18-bit, poorly dithered) quality of the screen.

On a 19" CRT in millions of colors, I see not one single vertical line. At any viewing angle :p

Haha, okay, thank you! I was clearly being a bit slow! And wow, does my laptop ever need replacing then ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.