Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

G5power

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 25, 2005
I have tried searching the forum so sorry if this has already been asked.

I have a QS with a single 867 MHz processor. I have access to a QS with a dual 1 GHz processor.

Is it possible to switch just the processors and have both systems work OK?
Both systems have a fair amount of other things installed / mounted and also the 867 case is in much better condition. Thus the interest in just switching the processors.

Looking at the OWC site it appears that they list the same processor upgrades for both the single 867 and the dual 1 GHz so that would seem to confirm.

Looking at an upgrade PDF it appears that the processors are fairly easy to remove and install. (With all of the normal disclaimers of exercising care and caution).

4JNA

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2006
looking for trash files
the 867 is a 2001 model, and the dual 1000 is a 2002 model.

i know that the 867(2001) would work just fine in the dual(2002) motherboard. i can think of no reason why the dual(2002) would not work in the 867(2001) motherboard, but i've never tried it. all the 3rd party cpu upgrades i've seen/used for quicksilvers are the same for both.

i've never actually found any differences between the two other than actual part numbers, and think this would work fine.

if you do it, please post back with results! best of luck.

Firefly2002

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2008
They both have the same PSU and bus speeds.. I don't see why not. if you want people who would really know best, probably checking out the Apple Discussions (discussions.apple.com) would be a good idea... under the Quicksilver section, of course. People who own the same computer you do will of course have specific knowledge, and many have a very deep understanding of their machines.. you'd be surprised what people have done with and to their Macs =)

ReanimationLP

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2005
On the moon.
The aftermarket processors come with software to make em work on any G4.

Best Bet is to just also swap the board if the board works as well.

Then you can also install IDE hard disks bigger than 120GB.

G5power

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 25, 2005
Thanks for the responses. I'll try to get time to make the swap next week.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.