Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mindflux

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 20, 2007
Austin
My gf asked me how to fix her duplicate albums. Apparently she converted one of her CD's to MP3 and forgot, and later did it again. Resulting in a duplicate album in iTunes.

Does iTunes not recognize you already have this CD in your library and post warning about it? I find this rather odd that it wouldnt.

bokdol

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
VA
highlight the dups and press delete.
it should ask you if you want to move them to the trash. just say yes and the song will be in your trash

Mindflux

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 20, 2007
Austin
highlight the dups and press delete.
it should ask you if you want to move them to the trash. just say yes and the song will be in your trash

Yes I know HOW to delete them. I'm asking why iTunes allows this? It was the precise same album, twice.

veeco3110

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2007
brick nj
annoying bug....did it to my entire ibrary which is roughly 45+ gig

view>show duplicates>highlight every other song and delte

bigbadnewill

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2007
I agree you can't call it a big, but it would be nice if a pop up menu appeared and checked you wanted to do it!

By the way, this might happen, but i really can't be bothered trying it out :D

semin28

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2008
I have this problem too . But it just happened after the 3.0 update . I didnt do anything to get it like this

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
It's not a bug. There are some instances where an album has two versions, such as "plugged" and "unplugged" or studio vs live, with the same songs and album name. iTunes doesn't make such choices for you. It "assumes" that if you add something to your library, you intended to do that. If you try to add the same album from the same file location, it won't duplicate that, but if the files are coming from a new location or you're re-ripping a CD, it allows you to do that, assuming you know what you're doing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.