Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mpuck972

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 31, 2007
Is there a way to wipe it clean, and completely reinstall the firmware? The upgrades from Apple dont clean everything up.

I restored, and then upgraded to 1.1.3, but my title bar at the top of the screen still shows a custome carrier, wifi icon, and the clock is stuck at 9:42!

Any ideas?

brando88

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2007
Is there a way to wipe it clean, and completely reinstall the firmware? The upgrades from Apple dont clean everything up.

I restored, and then upgraded to 1.1.3, but my title bar at the top of the screen still shows a custome carrier, wifi icon, and the clock is stuck at 9:42!

Any ideas?

I'm not positive but you can try this:

1. Go into Settings > General > Reset

2. Hit "Erase all Content and Settings."

brando88

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2007
I believe all that will do is erase contact, and email info.

Another idea would be to restore in iTunes, and instead of "restoring from a backup" when prompted, set it up as a new phone. You'll lose your backup, but it might just wipe the system clean :))

kwjohns

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2007
mpuck, I'd like to know this as well so if you find the answer, please post it! Thanks.

mpuck972

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 31, 2007
Another idea would be to restore in iTunes, and instead of "restoring from a backup" when prompted, set it up as a new phone. You'll lose your backup, but it might just wipe the system clean :))

mpuck, I'd like to know this as well so if you find the answer, please post it! Thanks.

The answer is in the first quote. This completely removed EVERYTHING including pictures, notes etc.

kwjohns

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2007
The answer is in the first quote. This completely removed EVERYTHING including pictures, notes etc.

Any way to sync back up with a profile to get your photos, notes, etc. back after doing that?

The main reason I am interested is because when you do a restore, it doesn't remove a lot of the data that 3rd party apps place on your phone and I may possibly be interested in removing that by formatting, and then syncing back over my legit iPhone stuff someday.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.