Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Victor ch

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 19, 2007
San José, Costa Rica
Ok, after further investigation (and disassembly) my beloved PB that has been dead for a while now has just a dead HDD and Im willing to replace it. My cousins 12" iBook (1.33 GHz) has a cracked screen and his father bought him a new MacBook now that iBook is there gathering dust like my PB. Now the question is: Is the HDD in the 12" iBook 1.33GHz (I thinks its a 40Gb one) compatible with my 12" PB 1.33Ghz??? According to Mactracker they use the same 2.5" Ultra ATA/100 (ATA -6) drive but Im not so sure if they can fit.

Another question: Im willing to just go and say if they can gift it to me but if they say that is has some use Im willing to throw $50, is it too much money?
PS: I did search for this and apparently there is no such thread or post.

Thanks in advance.
-Victor

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Yes, I think they are compatible. Both are 2.5" ATA drives. The only worry might be height, but I think both are 9.5mm drives.

dibara2003

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2007
Hawaii!
yes, they are compatible. i did the same thing, except from an older iBook to my 12" PB 1.33. ifixit is the best site if you're going to do it yourself. it was an easy, but time consuming process. as for $50... i think it's a bit too much considering the capacity and age. if i had to pay, i would go for $25

Victor ch

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 19, 2007
San José, Costa Rica
Well it works!!!! I spent almost all the morning opening the iBook (its mega difficult) and now my 12" PB is back from the dead!!! My uncle gifted me the whole iBook and I just found use of the HDD and Im giving back the rest.

Also Im about to upgrade her to Leopard and I want to do a clean install but when I click in the Optional Installs folder and try to open the .mpkg it says it couldn't be opened. Why is this?

-Victor

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.