Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gerad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 27, 2008
Hi there.

I have a G4 iBook - 1.07Ghz, 768Mb RAM, Panther - that keeps giving me the swirling beachball of death depending on the date setting on preferences. If I set the date to 2004 the machine runs fine, but if the date is set to today or (I'm not sure of the exact date) after 2007-ish the thing keeps freezing.

Also, after the freezing troubles I installed Ubuntu and it ran perfect with the correct post 2007 date.

Any help on what could be causing this would be greatly appreciated, so I can run my machine at the correct date!

Cheers,

Gerad

iMpathetic

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2007
IMBY
Don't quote me on this, but I remember that the Web gets mad sometimes at your time. This is an odd situation, because it's almost the exact OPPOSITE of a dead PRAM battery. Does this happen all the time or just if you do a certain thing?

rsm5068

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2008
I personally would upgrade to Leopard. We had a similar problem at school with the entire English departments iBooks spinning. At the time we were running Jaguar, and this happened just after the release of Tiger, so they upgraded and the problem was solved. It may have been caused by the fact that it was outdated or maybe it's because Computer services messes with the OS, who knows?

gerad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 27, 2008
Hi there,

Thanks for the replies.

Yes, it does happen all the time. I was thinking of upgrading to leopard, since Ubuntu ran without any problems.

Cheers,

Gerad

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.