Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chris14

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 13, 2006
Hamilton, NZ
Well, after months of procrastinating, last night I finally worked up the courage to take apart our old iBook G3 with a dead logic board and try to fix the damn thing. Well, I eventually isolated the problem to being the Video Card becoming loose/unsoldered. So, with nothing to lose, I tried this rather extreme fix... :rolleyes:

http://geektechnique.org/projectlab/726/diy-obsolete-ibook-logic-board-repair

And it worked! :eek:

Just wanted to tell someone... whoever else out there who has an infamous dead logic board G3 should give it a try! Of course, there is always the chance I have damaged the ibook even more, but alas the following morning still running fine as it did all those years ago!

apple90

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2008
Torrance, CA
Well, after months of procrastinating, last night I finally worked up the courage to take apart our old iBook G3 with a dead logic board and try to fix the damn thing. Well, I eventually isolated the problem to being the Video Card becoming loose/unsoldered. So, with nothing to lose, I tried this rather extreme fix... :rolleyes:

http://geektechnique.org/projectlab/726/diy-obsolete-ibook-logic-board-repair

And it worked! :eek:

Just wanted to tell someone... whoever else out there who has an infamous dead logic board G3 should give it a try! Of course, there is always the chance I have damaged the ibook even more, but alas the following morning still running fine as it did all those years ago!

Thanks for sharing the information with us. I know exactly how you feel!

And congratulations on fixing your old iBook G3!

Chris14

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 13, 2006
Hamilton, NZ
Forgot to update this page, but unfortunately it stopped working again the day after I did this... disappointing but not entirely unanticipated. Back to the drawing board!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.