Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ManWithAPlan

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 4, 2008
Guys,

I am waiting on delivery of a new MacPro with Leopard Server on it. It will be my first OSX server, though I've administered other servers for years. I got it mostly for the wiki server and qt streaming server capabilities, though other stuff is interesting too (dns, mail, vpn, etc.)

Quick question - am I correct in assuming that I'll still be able to run the same OSX apps like iTunes, iPhoto, Aperture, FCE, etc. on this machine even though I am also using it as a family server? Also, will VMWare's Fusion run just fine on here too?

Thanks, much appreciated, I look forward to the machine arriving!

Cheers!

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
Other apps are fine not sure about Fusion, but I don't see why that would be a problem.

mmcxiiad

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2002
another tip is you may not want to log in everyday with an account that has administrative privileges. if you install something and it asks for an admin user/pass, you can use the server admin account to authenticate the process. This helps to prevent that you don't accidently do something to the entire server while just doing day-to-day things.

xparaparafreakx

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2005
Yep you can do all the normal stuff on an OS X Server as long you don't affect your users that connect to your server.

ManWithAPlan

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 4, 2008
Thanks guys, good to know! I just reviewd my order again from Apple and it included iLife suite, so they must allow it now under Leopard. I also ordered Aperture to be loaded BTO, and FCE and iWork. So, they should have stopped me during the order if it can't be done, and they definitely didn't stop me, so...

hopefully, all will be well here...fingers crossed a bit, but thanks!

Cheers!

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
Thanks guys, good to know! I just reviewd my order again from Apple and it included iLife suite, so they must allow it now under Leopard. I also ordered Aperture to be loaded BTO, and FCE and iWork. So, they should have stopped me during the order if it can't be done, and they definitely didn't stop me, so...

hopefully, all will be well here...fingers crossed a bit, but thanks!

Cheers!

awesome! just curious, what will you be using the server for? like the server part

ManWithAPlan

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 4, 2008
awesome! just curious, what will you be using the server for? like the server part

A variety of QT Streaming server, Apache server, wiki server, etc. Mostly for my family dispersed around the globe to communicate, share family video's, post to wiki/blog site, etc. I won't be doing any of the internal file/print sharing, open directory stuff, etc. It will mostly be serving for external networks.

I know there are like 3 choices when you set up your server the first time -standard, and 2 others i guess...what are the differences between each of these 3 options, I don't want to hose myself right out of the gate by making some decision that isn't easy to undo later on.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.