Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drummer21scum

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 4, 2008
Hi total newbie to mac os x, work in a server 2003 environment, starting to introduce mac's at work, using leopard...

i was just wondering if anyone knows the script to mount a windows share eg.
\\mySrver\myShare$ and then add it to the finder sidebar...

just sick to death of going to finder>connect to server etc

any help would be great ;)

larkost

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2007
There are a few different routes to go:

If you are in an "enterprise" setting, then there is a good chance that there is an Active Directory server in the mix, and you can then bind to the AD server, and your "home" folder can be auto-mounted at login. You just need to use the directory utility for that.

Another option is to make an alias of the folder (inside the share) that you want. Unlike Windows shortcuts, aliases can contain the data needed to get to the share.

Another option is to make the alias, then put it in your login items.

After that there are a whole number of other ways (mount_smbfs on the command line, MCX if you are really good, etc), but I think you should probably chose one of the first three.

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
I use an Applescript application. Only because I didn't want to explain to the wife how to execute a shell script. A simple alias on the desktop, a double click, and Bam!

Code:
tell application "Finder"
	mount volume "afp://username:password@hostname/sharename"
end tell

if you want SMB, simply change the afp to smb.

drummer21scum

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 4, 2008
worked at treat! thanks, not to be a bit greedy but you wouldnt know how to add the share to the finder sidebar after it opens, would you? cos for some reason in leopard when u connect to a share its not mounted on the desktop or finder for some reason? strange

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
You can show volumes on the desktop by going to Finder Preferences and under the General Tab click the Connected Servers check box. To add the volume to the devices list, you can drag the now visible drive from the finder desktop into the list of devices in a finder window, and everytime you reconnect it should show up in the list.

tjwett

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
you can also just add the volumes to the Login Items in the Accounts pane of System Preferences. if the authentication to the share is stored in the keychain it will automount.

aLoC

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2006
you can also just add the volumes to the Login Items in the Accounts pane of System Preferences. if the authentication to the share is stored in the keychain it will automount.

Yes, that is the easiest way, just one drag and drop operation.

Open System Preferences, click on Accounts, click the Login Items tab, and drag and drop the disk icon from your desktop to the login items.

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
Yes, that is the easiest way, just one drag and drop operation.

Open System Preferences, click on Accounts, click the Login Items tab, and drag and drop the disk icon from your desktop to the login items.

But what do you do if the drive isn't available or disconnects?

brguitarist

macrumors member
May 24, 2007
New Jersey
thanks for the useful thread...
simple question though, both through applescript and login items, when the drives mount, a finder window pops up with that drive selected.
since i'd be mounting 3 drives i was wondering if you guys know how to keep those windows from popping up

hmmfe

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2003
simple question though, both through applescript and login items, when the drives mount, a finder window pops up with that drive selected.
since i'd be mounting 3 drives i was wondering if you guys know how to keep those windows from popping up

I use an automator script and the share is mounted but a finder window does not open. Would think I'd behave just like applescript...? Oh well, automator works well for me.

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC

Code:
tell application "Finder"
	mount volume "afp://user:pass@server/sharename"
end tell

This seems to not pop up the window and probably a better way to mount the share. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.