Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ReflecTruth

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
I need to use 2 separate .Mac accounts on my computer. One of them is for work and the other is for personal use. I don't want them under the same account (any longer).

I should also mention that I'd like to use both of these .mac accounts from within the same user profile on my computer.

Is it possible to use more than one .mac account under a single profile (user)?

JNB

macrumors 604
Sure, but you have to login to each .Mac account separately, and iDisk and some publishing features will be a management issue. Remember, it's designed to have a persistent connection to a single account, so while you can have multiple accounts, you have to essentially keep them "off" until you need to login to each separately.

ReflecTruth

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
Sure, but you have to login to each .Mac account separately, and iDisk and some publishing features will be a management issue. Remember, it's designed to have a persistent connection to a single account, so while you can have multiple accounts, you have to essentially keep them "off" until you need to login to each separately.

Thanks for your input here. I've tried this (keeping them "off" and switching) before and things got messy fast. This has proven to not work for me.

It has also been suggested (on another forum) that I just use fast user switching.

I see no other option than to log into and out of each separately.

The problem with user switching is that none of the documents that I would need .mac for would be on that other user. I don't want to duplicate content just for the sake of .mac.

For example, one of my primary uses of .mac is publishing sites from iWeb. I'm currently managing 4 completely separate sites. My goal is to NOT have these all within iWeb's single "Domains" file. I want split so that each can be published individually. Hence my need for multiple .mac accounts.

If I used user switching for the above iWeb publishing, I wouldn't have the content (pictures, music, documents, etc) needed to update the sites, which is something I do each morning.

UNLESS.... As I was typing this an idea came to mind. I could move the "Domains" file to an external drive, which would allow access from any user. I'd do all the editing from my primary user account. And then, when I was ready to publish, I could log in to the 2nd user and publish to a different .mac account.

Would this work effectively? Can you foresee any problems?

Is there a better way to manage multiple iWeb domains and publish them separately to .mac w/o overwriting each other?

P.S. As you can see, iWeb is my primary need here. Not so much all the other "syncing".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.