Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PaulMoore

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 3, 2007
On the classic iPods the center button cycles through title & artwork to artwork and then description... but I can't work out how to bring up the descriptions on the iPod Touch... surely this is possible?

The descriptions are the way I know whether I want to listen to most of the stuff I have on there- Apple can't have overlooked this for the iPod Touch?

MacDann

macrumors 6502a
On the classic iPods the center button cycles through title & artwork to artwork and then description... but I can't work out how to bring up the descriptions on the iPod Touch... surely this is possible?

The descriptions are the way I know whether I want to listen to most of the stuff I have on there- Apple can't have overlooked this for the iPod Touch?

Easy - just like you access lyrics for songs (if you have them):

When you have the podcast list on the screen, tap the Podcast you want to hear. When the artwork for the Podcast is on the screen, just tap it and any text attached to it will appear.

You'll also notice that there is a little button in the upper right hand corner that allows you to alternate between the text (description) and artwork.

MacDann

BrownManUPS

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2007
Denver

When you have the podcast list on the screen, tap the Podcast you want to hear. When the artwork for the Podcast is on the screen, just tap it and any text attached to it will appear.

You'll also notice that there is a little button in the upper right hand corner that allows you to alternate between the text (description) and artwork.

MacDann

Only works if you copy the description in the lyrics part of a podcast. Which totally blows.

Also if you double tap any artwork you get it to flip and see the tracks.

PaulMoore

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 3, 2007

MacDann

As the other poster above says, this doesn't work (I tried it before I posted here, thinking that would be the *obvious* way to do it).

Were you guessing that this works or do you know something we don't?

carlosrauln

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2008
I found a way to do it. It is a 'itunespodcastdesc' property that contains the text that a podcast show as lyrics. So, all that you need to do is modify it (with a program like mp3tag) and put in it wherever you neet. Also you need "recompilate" the podcast inside the itunes (in 'get info' option put something in 'lyrics' and press 'ok')

PaulMoore

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 3, 2007
I found a way to do it. It is a 'itunespodcastdesc' property that contains the text that a podcast show as lyrics. So, all that you need to do is modify it (with a program like mp3tag) and put in it wherever you neet. Also you need "recompilate" the podcast inside the itunes (in 'get info' option put something in 'lyrics' and press 'ok')

Thanks for the suggestion but that's a lot of work for something which should be a feature of the iPod Touch/iPhone like it is on the iPod Classic. I think Apple have simply messed up in not enabling the descriptions.

pokeysan

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2007
Applescript will copy description to lyrics

I just downloaded an Applescript from Doug's scripts which makes copying the description to the lyrics panel for multiple podcasts relatively pain-free:

http://dougscripts.com/itunes/scripts/ss.php?sp=selectedtagstolyrics

Just copy the script to ~/Library/iTunes/scripts , and it will show up in your iTunes Script menu. Then you just select the podcasts you want to copy, select the script from the menu, select "Description" as the field to copy, and "Prepend" to put it before any existing lyrics.

It is a pain that you have to do this each time new podcasts are downloaded. It would be great to have some sort of Cron job to automate this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.