Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rpeters83

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 31, 2007
I've noticed this happening randomly lately. Sometimes if my 5.8 ghz phone is near me and I use it, my wifi signal drops dead on my macbook (my only mac). Also, when it happens, the signal on the phone sounds gargly (the dial tone). This only happens occasionally. I then have to reconnect it. Otherwise, it's fine.

BTW, my phone is Voip but it's plugged into the lan jack of another router (being used as an access point). Not sure if this is related, but don't think it is.

Any ideas? Could my 5.8 phone really be a 5? Very odd!

Stampyhead

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2004
London, UK
It's definitely possible. The higher the frequency the pickier the device will be about interference. Try changing the channel at which your Airport operates and see if that helps. The only other thing I can think of is downgrading your phone to 2.8Ghz????

rpeters83

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 31, 2007
It's definitely possible. The higher the frequency the pickier the device will be about interference. Try changing the channel at which your Airport operates and see if that helps. The only other thing I can think of is downgrading your phone to 2.8Ghz????

You're right!

My AEBSn was set to channel 153 in 5ghz mode! It seemed my phone was channel hopping and randomly got onto the same channel as my airport.

I noticed that when it did it, my signal on my macbook dropped to like 13 and went immediately back to 243 or 300 when i turned the phone off.

So, I put the channel on the airport back to 36 or 40 and so far so good.

Learned something new! Thanks.

ntrigue

macrumors 68040
Jul 30, 2007
I just installed my Time Capsule (20 feet away from desk) I have a Uniden 5.8Ghz on my desk. Should I remove the phone from this room, use wireless-n on 2.4Ghz, play around with different channels?

rpeters83

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 31, 2007
I just installed my Time Capsule (20 feet away from desk) I have a Uniden 5.8Ghz on my desk. Should I remove the phone from this room, use wireless-n on 2.4Ghz, play around with different channels?

No.

The only reason mine was being weird was because I had my AEBSn on 5Ghz mode and on channel 141, which, as it turns out, pushes it up to around the 5.7-5.8 Ghz range. As soon as I brought my channel back down to the default, my interference issues with my 5.8 Ghz phone were gone. Otherwise, my wifi would cut out whenever the phone range.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.