Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fredrickyoon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 14, 2008
Seoul, South Korea

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
how can you even install those. the ram is SOLDERED onto the logic board.

For the upgrades, you can upgrade the hard drive to a 128GB SSD, that costs about 3400 bucks per.

fredrickyoon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 14, 2008
Seoul, South Korea
That's what I figured, but I'm sure that these 3rd party vendors will find a way and probably charge a handful to get the job done, or else they wouldn't be advertising this on their websites (don't know about the reliability of the ebay listing), but for MacService since I've dealt with them in the past, maybe a possibility.

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
replacing/adding memory is possible but because of the complexity design of DDR2 chips, if you happen to damage even one pin on the chip, it is rendered useless. If some compnaies do offer this service, it would not be cheap.

t4cgirl

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2008
Check out this pic of iFixit's take apart of the Macbook Air.

http://www.ifixit.com/Parts/stream/9/large/17-2.jpg

These aren't our regular SO-DIMMs soldered in place. The RAM is actually designed into the logic board. Unsoldering 8 256KB ram chips and soldering in 8 512KB ones? Yikes. I suspect those skilled enough to do such work (if it's even practical with the right equipment) have better things to do.

That eBay auction certainly stretches the definition of "compatibility", that's for sure!

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
OK, having just read the eBay listing, I can come to only one conclusion: The seller is trying to take advantage of MBA owners who aren't technical enough to know that the RAM is soldered in and that replacing it is nigh impossible.

Someone really ought to report that auction and have it closed. And this thread should be locked.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
Someone really ought to report that auction and have it closed. And this thread should be locked.
Agree x 2.

I will also report the eBay listing.

On MR, it would probably be good to have the last message by the mod include something about that the MBA has no memory sockets and that the memory is mounted directly on the motherboard.

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
Check out this pic of iFixit's take apart of the Macbook Air.

http://www.ifixit.com/Parts/stream/9/large/17-2.jpg

These aren't our regular SO-DIMMs soldered in place. The RAM is actually designed into the logic board. Unsoldering 8 256KB ram chips and soldering in 8 512KB ones? Yikes. I suspect those skilled enough to do such work (if it's even practical with the right equipment) have better things to do.

That eBay auction certainly stretches the definition of "compatibility", that's for sure!

Pretty sure each chip is bigger then 256KB. lol.

But yeah, the complexity to remove one chip, even for a skilled person, would be insane. I've worked at a computer ram company before. Just watching them remove one chip took a few hours because of all the cleaning they have to do on the internal pins.

hephem

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2008
Hi to all,
I wrote to MacServices and actualy they said that they were waiting for the 4gb Ram, and once they get it in the MBA they will do some tests to certify that everything works fine. Only then they may (or may not) offer a MBA Ram upgrade. To follow this adventure sign up to the MacServices news letter.

A 4gb MBA is what I was expecting for to make it my principal machine, since Mtron announced a 1.8 SSD with higher capacity (128gb) and higher performances than the actual SSD, for a price almost fair (lol): expected to be sold for 1600$.

Cheers :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.