Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sbluetruck

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 25, 2007
Wisconsin der hey
I have an old Dell CRT I'm using currently with my iBook and I want to know how I can just use the display and close the iBook when at my desk without the computer sleeping. Currently if I try waking the computer with the keyboard or mouse, it wakes up for about five seconds before going back to sleep. Is there any way around this or do i just have to keep the iBook Open?

zoziw

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2006
Canada
You can't use your iBook with a secondary monitor with the lid down by default. I seem to recall that there was a hack going around a couple of years ago to get around this but I also seem to recall that the iBook vents heat through the keyboard and the hack was not recommended for that reason.

You could try searching for the hack but I wouldn't recommend it. Just keep you lid open and turned to the side so you can't see it.

sbluetruck

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 25, 2007
Wisconsin der hey
thanks! that's what i've been doing and it's not that bad of an option really, it's just not the most convenient, but it's not putting me back at all, so i can't complain.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.