Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scott9s

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 27, 2008
As a windows user, I love ccleaner. It cleans out all the privacy data from firefox, windows, ie, and more.

Is there a ccleaner for windows?

Meaning is there an app that I can run to securely delete all my history, cookies, temp files in safari, firefox, empties trash, and cleans up any mac temp directories.

thanks,

Scott

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本
As a windows user, I love ccleaner. It cleans out all the privacy data from firefox, windows, ie, and more.

Is there a ccleaner for windows?

Meaning is there an app that I can run to securely delete all my history, cookies, temp files in safari, firefox, empties trash, and cleans up any mac temp directories.

thanks,

Scott

Hiya Scott,
I hate to piss on your parade but doesn't matter what software we use to securely erase date from your HD, a professional data recovery company can still recover everything we ever delete, plus a who lot more.

Though for the average Joe, MacOS X has a built in feature that securely delete the trash from your HD. For everything else, there's onyx.

20080321-c51ibprwmabu5p6fnq9j8iiptd.jpg

scott9s

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 27, 2008
Hiya Scott,
I hate to piss on your parade but doesn't matter what software we use to securely erase date from your HD, a professional data recovery company can still recover everything we ever delete, plus a who lot more.

Agreed. I'm more concerned with the every day joe, viruses, and everything else. I know, I know. OS X has no viruses, and everything is just fine, but I say it's better be safe than sorry.

I also think it's nice to start with a fresh start as far as Browsers are concerned.

canucks-17

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2008
I use feature Reset Safari which is built into Safari.

Attachments

• safari-shot.jpg
    safari-shot.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 785

rychencop

macrumors 65816
Aug 17, 2007
Georgia
also...use firefox as your browser. it can delete all your online data upon exiting. be nice if safari did that.

JorgeDX3

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2008
Your mom's bed
i have read that onyx is a good software for that, but you can do this:
Finder>Applications>Utilities>Disk Utility>Erase tab>CLICK YOUR HD IN THE LEFT COLUMN>Erase Free Space...>THE 7 TIMES OPTION IS THE BEST BUT TAKES LONG IF YOUR HARD DRIVE IS BIG.

I used after having my black macbook for about 2 1/2 months and I got back about 1.2 GB.
:apple: :apple: :apple: :apple: :apple:

pimpsquash

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2009
Hiya Scott,

Though for the average Joe, MacOS X has a built in feature that securely delete the trash from your HD. For everything else, there's onyx.

Of course an Apple user would be so blunt. Sorry to piss on YOUR parade, but if you know a little about computers you can make data irrecoverable.

kastenbrust

macrumors 68030
Dec 26, 2008
North Korea
Of course an Apple user would be so blunt. Sorry to piss on YOUR parade, but if you know a little about computers you can make data irrecoverable.

This is true, the other guy was being naive, you can zero your hard drive 30 times using the OS X install disk, and no one can ever ever ever recover any data then, but it takes about a week to do on a normal hard drive, its even NSA approved.

J the Ninja

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2008
Despite all the claims that zero-d out data is still recoverable, I'm not aware of anyone who has ever been able to successfully demonstrate it, even if it was only one pass.

Blaine

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2007
Abilene TX
Hiya Scott,

Felt like you needed to watermark your image? :confused:
The watermark is a little overboard, and I would have highlighted the secure empty trash instead of preferences.

kastenbrust

macrumors 68030
Dec 26, 2008
North Korea
Felt like you needed to watermark your image? :confused:
The watermark is a little overboard, and I would have highlighted the secure empty trash instead of preferences.

He runs his own site, thats why, if you checked his signature, profile or name rather than complaining you'd know that.

michael.lauden

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2008
CCleaner is great for windows.

you can use Onyx for OS X. it is similar.

but the program i use the most is called MainMenu. great for running scripts, cleaning, deleting cache's, etc.

ChadJK

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2008
Flyover State, USA
Hiya Scott,
I hate to piss on your parade but doesn't matter what software we use to securely erase date from your HD, a professional data recovery company can still recover everything we ever delete, plus a whole lot more.

According to the 2006 NIST Special Publication 800-88 (p. 7): "Studies have shown that most of today’s media can be effectively cleared by one overwrite" and "for ATA disk drives manufactured after 2001 (over 15 GB) the terms clearing and purging have converged."

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Oooooh. Cool!.

OP - It's not free, but I like CleanMyMac. People here will claim it erases too much (it clears PPC code), but I've never had a problem with it. And I have a few complex program installations.
Cleaners such as this are not necessary and many do more harm than good. One app that I would not recommend, based on the number of complaints that have been posted in this forum and elsewhere, is CleanMyMac. As an example: CleanMyMac cleaned too much

While you may not have encountered problems yet, it's still not a good recommendation for others, based on the number of problems being reported.

By the way, this thread was started over 3 years ago, and the OP hasn't been on this site for over a year.

stefmesman

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2010
Netherlands
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; nl-nl) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Im using mackeeper :)

scott9s

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 27, 2008
Interesting. I've been using CleanMyMac without a problem. I'll look at CCleaner when it comes out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.