Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zen

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 26, 2003
One for people in the UK:

I've just had a V+ box installed by Virgin, and was wondering what I would need to hook the box up to my iMac so I can transfer the recordings off the V+ and onto my hard drive for archiving.

I was looking at various Elgato EyeTV products, but nothing seems to do what I want.

Any suggestions? Basically the V+ allows you to dub off to a DVD recorder (which I don't have) via a SCART lead. I think I need some kind of bridge so I can record onto my iMac.

Rickyrazor

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2008
Did you work it out?

Hi Zen,

Did you work out how to hook up the V+ box and the imac? If you did can you publish how you done it,

Many thanks

brcampbell

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2008
Fairly cheap solution

Hi,

I've nearly filled the HDD on my V+ box while waiting for a way to backup shows that I've recorded.

My latest attempt has been to buy a Neuros OSD from Play.com (£129). I have it hooked up to the secondary scart of the V+ box, and then via an ethernet cable to my home network. It can record in MP4 format to a memory card, USB stick, or direct to a share on my Mac (I have a share set up on an external firewire drive). The network option doesn't connect 100% of the time but it's not bad, and I don't have to drag any kit around the house to get content to my Mac. A 2GB SD card can hold an hour of content if I choose that method instead.

The MP4s can be edited in iMovie, but like every other device I've tried the Neuros creates 4:3 video even if the content is widescreen. I run it through a piece of software called Stomp to get it back to widescreen, then drop it straight into iDVD.

So still not entirely perfect, but much better than recordable DVDs, then ripping/converting/editing, and re-burning to a 'real' DVD format, and the recording quality is reasonable.

Another handy thing about the OSD is that it ignores Macrovision, so catch-up TV can also be recorded (how come if I record a show 'live' at 7pm it's recordable, but if I watch it on catch-up at 9pm it's protected?). If you just want the show captured to watch an iPod, then the OSD has a setting to create a file for that directly, with no other messing around required.

dalvin200

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
Nottingham, UK
I was looking at various Elgato EyeTV products, but nothing seems to do what I want.

Any suggestions? Basically the V+ allows you to dub off to a DVD recorder (which I don't have) via a SCART lead. I think I need some kind of bridge so I can record onto my iMac.

the eyeTV hybrid does exactly what you want..

i have it now and have archived a load of programs off my skyHD box via the scart output..

only snag is, it records an analogue signal.. so you do lose a bit of quality.. i'm not that fussed as it's mostly kiddy programs anyway ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.