Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

atluten

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2008
Maybe the end of June to early July? I hope. It's good to know that they're still looking to improve the design.

determinant

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2008
damn, my macbook pro just broke and I need a new one ASAP... guess I'll have to stick to penryn.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
Apple Notebooks to See Major Design Changes?

Appleinsider claims that the current MacBook and MacBook Pro designs will be retired and are expected to see "major design changes" in their next revision.

The consumer MacBook line is expected to transition from plastic enclosures to aluminum and stainless steel, which are reportedly more "eco-friendly".

The MacBook Pro will share a similar design transition to bring it in line with existing iMac and MacBook Air designs.
Though precise details are admittedly limited given the ongoing revision process, it's presumed this will include instances of matte black on portions of the casings, oversized trackpads, and the adoption of the MacBook Air's keyboard by the MacBook.
Appleinsider points out that the MacBook has not seen a major case redesign since its introduction in May 2006. Meanwhile, the MacBook Pro continues to share a very similar design to the Aluminum PowerBook G4 which was introduced in 2003.

The new designs are expected to accompany the Montevina platform launch in June of this year. Montevina promises faster front-side bus speeds (1066MHz) over existing models (800MHz) and slightly faster Penryn processors (2.26-3.06GHz).

Article Link

phobic99

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2008
I was about to buy a refurb as soon as they put a blackbook up on the Apple site, but now? I think I'm gonna wait.

Outsider

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2002
North Carolina
Interesting. I hope they improve the way the keyboard backlighting works. The MacBook Air backlight looks awful. Needs some cleaning up.

otherwise, I'm all for the tapered look. It will be interesting how they will incorporate stainless steel and aluminum.

syklee26

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2005
although macbook design can look quite cheap, after using it for 6+ years I still don't see any problem with macbook pro (or powerbook) designs. I think it's impeccable.

with that said, I will be watching the new design.

forafireescape

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2008
NJ
I wonder if this will make the price of the MB go up...if so, we'll have a lot of unhappy campers who wanted an economical Mac.

BryanJ

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2008
its about time!

Its about time apple has started upgrading their front side bus speeds. They've been underpar for awhile now, and 1066Mhz is still kinda slow considering the highest I've seen was 1666MHz and that was a year ago. They will probably increase that soon too.

aprilfools

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2004
Southern California
Great News!!

I am very excited to hear this news. It seems to me, that Apple the last few years has been concentrating more on the iPhone, iPod, Apple TV and downloadable media. All products I could completely care less about, and that Apple targets to younger people’s interests. It is apparent that Apple is more interested in the entertainment business, techie toys and appealing to youth with their product line than us consumers in our late 40’s. So any news about Apple and new COMPUTERS mentioned in the same sentence is welcomed news indeed. Ps…. besides Macs’s, I own an iPod too and love it BTW. The iPhone however is hugely overrated, as is Apple’s strategy to take over your living room with their media toys.

gothamm

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2007
i hope its not the MBA-air-like wedge for factor.

I would like my next macbook pro to be flat, and have a respectable graphics card update.

pavelbure

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2007
the adoption of the backlit kb into the macbook line will be a most welcome addition. alum. cases, led screen. this is what i have been waiting for.

nickXedge

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2008
Long Island
The MacBook Pro will share a similar design transition to bring it in line with existing iMac and MacBook Air designs.

What does this entail exactly? What kind of changes will the MBP see that will "bring it in line" with the iMac and MBA? I don't see any major differences.

Also, when they say that the Macbook is going to get the MBA's keyboard, does that mean the black keys and backlighting? Other than that, aren't they both the chicklet design?

I'm confused.........

Zoboomafoo

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2002
Please, just make the metal sturdier. I hate that my macbook pros are dent magnets near the power inlet.

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2007
Washington D.C. Area
What does this entail exactly? What kind of changes will the MBP see that will "bring it in line" with the iMac and MBA? I don't see any major differences.

Also, when they say that the Macbook is going to get the MBA's keyboard, does that mean the black keys and backlighting? Other than that, aren't they both the chicklet design?

I'm confused.........

I think they mean that the MBP will get the tapering design of the Macbook Air. I'm not sure what they mean about the MB though.

powderblue17

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2007
Its about time apple has started upgrading their front side bus speeds. They've been underpar for awhile now

Apple doesn't have anything to do with this as they use the latest tech that Intel provides to them and everyone else except for the Mini which lags behind.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.