Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Arkanok

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 13, 2007
I was just thinking -- just in case it comes down to it -- if I somehow lost my iPhoto library, how would I use Time Machine to restore it? Is there an option within iPhoto to do this, or would I just do a search in Time Machine for the entire iPhoto folder and just restore it like that?

archesdevil

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2008
You can restore the entire library in time machine/finder or you can recover individual photos by iPhoto/time machine.

PhilW

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2008
Birmingham, UK
Anyone got any hints or tip on how to do this?

I have an iPhoto library with about many years of photos (including edits) all on my Time Machine. I have done a complete reinstall of Snow Leopard (for many reasons) so I don't want to do a full Time Machine restore. I simply want to extract the photos from Time Machine.

Does the latest Time Machine backup have all my photos or do I have to trawl through all the old Time Machine backups to find bits of everything?

mysterytramp

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2008
Maryland
Launch Time Machine
Not unlike the Finder, you should be able to travel your folder tree until you find out where your iPhoto Library exists.
Click on the library and hit Restore.

You should have your photos up to the last TM backup.

mt

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.