Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thetussinmonstr

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 14, 2008
my wireless mouse (OEM Apple Mighty Mouse) mysteriously stopped scrolling down. like when i scroll down with the middle wheel/ball thing in a browser window, for example, it doesn't go down.. but it still goes up, left and right. can i safely take the thing apart and check for something that could possibly be causing this? any input appreciated.

numbersyx

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2006
my wireless mouse (OEM Apple Mighty Mouse) mysteriously stopped scrolling down. like when i scroll down with the middle wheel/ball thing in a browser window, for example, it doesn't go down.. but it still goes up, left and right. can i safely take the thing apart and check for something that could possibly be causing this? any input appreciated.

Just clean the ball. Turn mouse upside down. Get some cleaning fluid or alcohol and use a soft cloth dabbed with it and rub the ball allowing it to turn. That should get rid of the dirt. Do not take it apart.

tersono

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2005
UK
The one I use at work does that every now and then. So far all I've needed to do is unplug it from the computer, turn it upside-down and run it up and down against my trouser leg or sleeve a few times.

Montie Da Champ

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2008
I used to put a blank piece of white paper on the desk, turn the might mouse upside down and then vigorously rub the ball on the white paper while pushing down with a lot of force. you can see all the dirt that comes out with this method and then it should work fine.

tangledweb16

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2007
Get a Q-Tip and but some alcohol on it (a very small amount) and then rub that all over the scroll clit-I mean ball. ;)

thetussinmonstr

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 14, 2008
just felt like posting this up.. ever since i rubbed the top of the mouse to get the dirt out, the scroll ball started working again but like every other left click brings up the dash board. wierd. oh well.

DrWhiteFPS

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2008
that's because you're clicking in the CENTER of the mouse. If you go to the apple, click preferences, then click mouse - it brings up the buttons on your mouse. For example, if I press the mouse on the left it works as a regular mouse, center brings up the dashboard, right i set to be like "right clicking" in windows (brings up a menu), and finally squeezing shows all of the open windows.

BTW - I had the scroll problem and I cleaned the ball and it really works well!

pixiemae

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2008
S.E. MI
I received this valuable advice from an Apple store employee:
Take a hand wipe, fold it in half, turn the mouse upside down and run the ball over the cloth. 5-6 times to the left, right, up, toward you, away from you, clockwise, counter clockwise. Works every time!

Mr Badger

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2007
Swansea
Take it apart and clean it...at your own risk of course!

I had the same problem but found that cleaning with cloths/alcohol etc. only worked for a short time. So I took the plunge and found a user site with detailed instructions on how to take the mouse apart. It worked for me. It was fiddly and the first step - removing the skirt - did feel destructive...and thus deeply uncomfortable, but didn't do it any lasting harm. I glued the skirt back on but it subsequently dropped off due to my poor mouse-supergluing-skills....so I left it off. Makes absolutely no difference to its functionality and doesn't spoil its appearance.

The mini rollers were totally clogged up but with a little methylated spirit it was as good as new. I highly recommend the take-it-apart mode of cleaning...as long as you are adept at taking small fiddly things apart and putting them back together again. If you're not confident avoid - if you are happy cleaning.

I can't find the original site I used but there are similar instructions at http://www.mightymouserepair.com/ Personally, I'd avoid the use of a scalpel in step one - a good strong finger nail is easier to control and far less likely veer out of control and sever a major artery!

GaryO

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2008
scrolling Mighty mouse issue

New here so cheers to all.

Believe it or not I reset my mouse DC speed to max and instantly fixed
it along with slow opening finder windows/lists which I believe is a bug.

Shook my head afterwards but I’ll take it!:)

descartes

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2006
I used to put a blank piece of white paper on the desk, turn the might mouse upside down and then vigorously rub the ball on the white paper while pushing down with a lot of force. you can see all the dirt that comes out with this method and then it should work fine.

same method worked wonders for me.

geoffreak

macrumors 68020
Feb 8, 2008
This happens to me all the time. I just push down on the ball fairly hard and try and scroll down. It clears the dirt out and allows the mouse to start functioning properly within seconds.

baseballer14

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2009
mighty mouse won't scroll down

Just wanted to say thank you for the advice on fixing the mouse not scrolling down. I dipped a Q-tip in rubbing alcohol and rubbed the scroll ball with it. It was instantly fixed! Thank you!

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
I have the same problem but with scrolling up. It's just dirt getting in there. I will do the alcohol swab thing, but I will also push down hard as hell and scroll up with it. That gets the ultra-stubborn crap out.

This is about the only thing I have against the Mighty Mouse. I would be all for some sort of small touchpad that would do scrolling if Apple could make it work right.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.