Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

goodtimes5

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 4, 2004
Bay Area
How do I completely uninstall Silverlight? I've used command-F in finder to find everything Silverlight and then delete it. Even then, my browsers still try to use silverlight for video on sites like mlb.com

dirt farmer

Suspended
Feb 23, 2005
look in your ~ library/internet plug-ins folder, or your Library/internet plug-ins folder. Is there anything there?

jcs1088

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
look in your ~ library/internet plug-ins folder, or your Library/internet plug-ins folder. Is there anything there?

I checked and it is in the Mac HD > Library > Internet Plug-Ins. And JohnNotBeatle also correct AppZapper will delete it for you. Just open it, click on the lightning bolt in the corner and click on plugins and it should be there.

ebel3003

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2007
"The Google"
Files should be located:

Root Library:
/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Silverlight.plugin
/Library/Receipts/Silverlight*.pkg

User Library:
~/Library/Application Support/Microsoft/Silverlight

goodtimes5

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 4, 2004
Bay Area
Files should be located:

Root Library:

User Library:

Yeah I already deleted all of that stuff, and browsers still try to use silverlight.

The Silverlight plugin doesn't even appear as an option under plugins for AppZapper.

goodtimes5

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 4, 2004
Bay Area
Used Appzapper to delete Silverlight AND Flash. Reinstalled flash from the adobe website.

Safari still tried to use Silverlight.

beg_ne

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2003
Wow, no idea how to help you, but I feel bad for you. That MS Garbage-ware reminds me of some of those viruses I'd see on PC's I'd work on that was virtually impossible to get rid of.

No way in hell am I ever going to put Silverlight on my Macs.

John T

macrumors 68020
Mar 18, 2006
UK.
Just a thought... Have you tried entering Silverlight in Spotlight? This usually reveals any odds and ends lurking on your HD!

SaSaSushi

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2007
Takamatsu, Japan
Yes. Deleting all the search results was my first step.

Make sure all your browsers are closed then delete the list of files on the uninstallation page at Microsoft.

For me it was persisting until I shut down and restarted Firefox and Safari, even after deleting all of the files. It's gone now though. :)

dylanweber

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2009
USA
do shell script:

rm -rf /Library/Internet\ Plug-Ins/Silverlight.plugin
rm -rf /Library/Receipts/Silverlight*.pkg
rm -rf ~/Library/Application\ Support/Microsoft/Silverlight

then open activity monitor and then quit silverlight plug-in

Florie

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2009
Files should be located:

Root Library:

User Library:

SHOULD BE, but isn't! Durn Microsoft!!

Florie

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2009
Just a thought... Have you tried entering Silverlight in Spotlight? This usually reveals any odds and ends lurking on your HD!

Weird. This is what I WAS using. And it didn't show anything at all in the Receipts folder. But when I tried Command F just now, I found the Silverlight_EULA.pkg ... So Spotlight and Command F are miles apart???

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
Weird. This is what I WAS using. And it didn't show anything at all in the Receipts folder. But when I tried Command F just now, I found the Silverlight_EULA.pkg ... So Spotlight and Command F are miles apart???

No, Spotlight does not search system directories by default. You need to tell it too by selection Show All and then adding the option in the advanced search area.

dreadnaught187

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2010
uninstall silverlight

actually if you hit COMMAND-DELETE after silverlight is in the trash, you can securely delete the program. make sure all browsers are closed before you do it. and i also had used spotlight to locate the files

Hugh

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2003
Erie, PA
What exactly happens when you go to these web sites, after you have removed Sliverlight?

Can you get a screen shot?

Hugh

emmylee

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2011
Thank you

Files should be located:

Root Library:

User Library:

Hi, I can't thank you enough for helping me. Netflix would not/ could not help me. They just sent me to a very ugly place, Microsoft. So your help worked magic. It was all in the /Library/Receipts/Silverlight*.pkg.

Intarweb

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2007
Hi, I can't thank you enough for helping me. Netflix would not/ could not help me. They just sent me to a very ugly place, Microsoft. So your help worked magic. It was all in the /Library/Receipts/Silverlight*.pkg.
Did you ever get Netflix to work?

Cboss

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2008
Colorado
Did you ever get Netflix to work?

The newest version of Silverlight has some problems and won't work with Netflix. Uninstalling as mentioned above will remove Silverlight from your system. To reinstall a working version of Silverlight, try to watch a movie on Netflix and install the version it prompts you to download. After installation, go to the Silverlight preferences and check the do not auto update tick box so it doesn't update itself to the nonfunctioning version.

Bit of a pain Microsoft doesn't fix this sooner. I had this very problem last night.

aerotux

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2011

Unfourtunatly this didnt work for me. Silverlight appers to be running, for example, in MS site: http://www.microsoft.com/getsilverlight/Get-Started/Install/Default.aspx
But when opening a netflix movie, it crash.

What I did on my Macbook Air 2011 Core i7:
1) Installed SL 4
2) Installed SL 5 RC 64bits
3) Netflix didn't worked, it said it had network problem "N8156-6205"
4) Uninstalled as mentioned here
5) Installed SL 4 again
6) SL crash on Netflix
7) Clear browser cache
8) Netflix opens a movie: the blue circles now show for a couple of seconds, then SL crash.

I cannot watch Netflix anymore! This happens in both Firefox and Safari.

Any ideas??

Thanks,
Jose

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.