Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

peterdevries

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 22, 2008
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Dear All,

I did not find this using the search feature, although I guess I'm not the first one to ask..

Is it possible to open a US iTunes Store account from Europe? I want to download TV series etc from the iTunes store. What do I need should it be possible? Can I do it with a european credit card?

Thanks and best regards,
P

joeshell383

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2006
Dear All,

I did not find this using the search feature, although I guess I'm not the first one to ask..

Is it possible to open a US iTunes Store account from Europe? I want to download TV series etc from the iTunes store. What do I need should it be possible? Can I do it with a european credit card?

Thanks and best regards,
P

No, the U.S. version of the iTunes store requires a U.S. credit card with matching U.S. billing address. It is against the terms of service to use the U.S. store outside of the U.S.

Spritey

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2006
Canada/Norway/USA
Dear All,
What do I need should it be possible? Can I do it with a european credit card?

Thanks and best regards,
P

As long as you have an American credit card it automatically takes you to the US store. Although you don't have to be an American or physically be logged on in the US, the card will have to be issued in the US as it is the credit card's billing address that determines which store you go to.

In order to obtain an American credit card you generally need a social security number which you're not going to get easily unless you hold some kind of non-tourist visa to the US.

So unfortunately you're stuck with the European store...

joeshell383

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2006
As long as you have an American credit card it automatically takes you to the US store. Although you don't have to be an American or physically be logged on in the US, the card will have to be issued in the US as it is the credit card's billing address that determines which store you go to.

In order to obtain an American credit card you generally need a social security number which you're not going to get easily unless you hold some kind of non-tourist visa to the US.

So unfortunately you're stuck with the European store...

Of course, there is one loophole ;)

jimN

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2005
London
Dear All,

Thanks and best regards,
P

Don't be disheartened, this is quite easy to set-up and you don't need a credit card. First of all go on to eBay and buy a gift card for the US iTunes store (they are easy to find although some people price theirs more fairly than others). I suggest that you only buy a small denomination voucher to start with so that you lose nothing if unsuccessful.

Then go to the US store (you can change your home store from the drop down menu at the bottom in iTunes) and go to the redeem area - it's in the quick links on the right hand side. Enter the code you have been given and it will ask if you have an account. Say no and it will give you the option to create one. Now for some reason I have done this for friends and in some instances it will ask for a credit card and in others it won't. If it does just say cancel and the code will not be redeemed and you are free to try again. It seems to work best if your email address doesn't contain regional identifiers (ie end .uk or .nl). You will need an American address but this is never verified, I have had friends use hotels or family addresses.

I haven't done this for a few months but I have no reason to believe that it doesn't currently work. If you are concerned about buying from eBay I can pass on details of the person I buy from who is always very reliable (PM me).

DISCLAIMER: this violates the terms and conditions of the iTunes store and technically occupies a bit of a grey area legally. To be honest, since iTunes gets the money and you get the product I see no problem with it, others may disagree.

Spritey

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2006
Canada/Norway/USA
Of course, there is one loophole ;)

Aaah clever... didn't even think of the gift cards!

As a European myself, I just "forced" my American boyfriend to set up an account for me so I could always get the latest Lost episodes because I was tired of illegally downloading them. (Great deal really, I pay him back in back rubs :p )

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Your breaking the law by signing up for a us ac outside of the us. You might aswell download via torrents.

Marky

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2005
Your breaking the law by signing up for a us ac outside of the us. You might aswell download via torrents.

Except if I use torrent sites the 'artist' doesn't get their fair share. This way they still do. I just use a false US address with an accurate Zip Code, if i remember correctly my address is a hotel :D

ntrigue

macrumors 68040
Jul 30, 2007
I've been planning on residence in the UK from 2010-2013.

I've had an iTunes account for ages and imagine that I've spent $225 on Apps, $300 on Music, and $500 on movies. I own an AppleTV.

a) Can I continue to use my account overseas?

b) Will the ATV continue to work on PAL TV sets?

c) Is there a formal/legal way to use US iTunes overseas?

Thanks!

pol0001

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2008
London

Thanks!

Yes you can keep using your account. Speaking from experience (I lived in Germany, the Netherlands and the US) you have two options:

1. Keep your US credit card and you can continue to use the US store.
2. Get a local credit card, give iTunes the new payment info and use the UK store.

Choosing option 2 will in no way effect the items you already have purchased. I switched from the German iTunes store to the Dutch iTunes store about a year ago and everything is fine.

PS: The only problem you could face, if you choose the UK store, is that some of iPhone apps will not update correctly. If that happens, just re-download the app from the UK store.

ntrigue

macrumors 68040
Jul 30, 2007
Yes you can keep using your account. Speaking from experience (I lived in Germany, the Netherlands and the US) you have two options:

2. Get a local credit card, give iTunes the new payment info and use the UK store.

Choosing option 2 will in no way effect the items you already have purchased. I switched from the German iTunes store to the Dutch iTunes store about a year ago and everything is fine.

PS: The only problem you could face, if you choose the UK store, is that some of iPhone apps will not update correctly. If that happens, just re-download the app from the UK store.

Tremendous help. Thank you!

06ict342

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2008
to anyone out there who would like to buy legitimate itunes vouchers, there is a website, http://www.zhljerry.com/ which sells us itunes vouchers. It costs $13.99 for a $10 voucher, but jerry also sells $15 and $25. I think he also sells ps3 vouchers. The best part is that he replies with the code emailed to you within 10 seconds. Check it out if you are in need of a voucher

SonicStomp

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2010
Moving abroad

Interesting - I am about to move overseas to work for 3 years. I would like to keep my UK iTunes account running. I intend to keep a UK bank account and UK address so albeit I would be violating iTunes t&c for being outside the UK, practically I should be able to keep using the UK account correct?

If not - then if I setup a new iTunes account in my new location - how will that affect my apps,music,videos etc??

Can I have multiple iTunes accounts and switch seamlessly between them within iTunes to keep apps up to date etc??

JerryCards

macrumors member
Nov 20, 2011
Richmond, VA
Maybe that is a late reply. But for the people interested in this topic, you can use US account when you are travel in foreign country. You do not even need a US credit card to maintain a US iTunes account. Not everybody in US has credit card, so iTunes invented iTunes Gift Card. You can use iTunes gift cards to keep your account alive and purchase music, songs, movies & Apps in US iTunes store.

I've been planning on residence in the UK from 2010-2013.

I've had an iTunes account for ages and imagine that I've spent $225 on Apps, $300 on Music, and $500 on movies. I own an AppleTV.

Thanks!

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Interesting - I am about to move overseas to work for 3 years. I would like to keep my UK iTunes account running. I intend to keep a UK bank account and UK address so albeit I would be violating iTunes t&c for being outside the UK, practically I should be able to keep using the UK account correct?
Yes, just keep the UK information in the account.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.