Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eric Lewis

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 4, 2007
CANADA? eh?
I try command + c or v and it doesnt want to copy or paste anything

also right click in itunes doesnt work?

What can i do to fix this?

andrewm

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2004
Los Angeles, CA
I try command + c or v and it doesnt want to copy or paste anything

also right click in itunes doesnt work?

What can i do to fix this?

Hi, there, Eric. Can you give us a little more information about your setup? For instance, and very importantly, what version of Mac OS X are you using, and what sort of computer (processor and configuration) do you have? Also, importantly, are you using *any* haxies of any sort? Application Enhancer? Pith Helmet? Logitech Control Center?

Did you set up your system with an erase-and-install, an archive-and-install, or did you simply install over an earlier system? Or did your computer come with the system that you are currently using?

Cheers,
Andrew

Eric Lewis

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 4, 2007
CANADA? eh?
Hi, there, Eric. Can you give us a little more information about your setup? For instance, and very importantly, what version of Mac OS X are you using, and what sort of computer (processor and configuration) do you have? Also, importantly, are you using *any* haxies of any sort? Application Enhancer? Pith Helmet? Logitech Control Center?

Did you set up your system with an erase-and-install, an archive-and-install, or did you simply install over an earlier system? Or did your computer come with the system that you are currently using?

Cheers,
Andrew

Its a 2.0ghz iMac 2gb ram, aluminum

running 10.5.2..did upgrade back in november

suddendly this morning it stopped working

no enhancers or anything like that

andrewm

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2004
Los Angeles, CA
Its a 2.0ghz iMac 2gb ram, aluminum

running 10.5.2..did upgrade back in november

suddendly this morning it stopped working

no enhancers or anything like that

Hi, Eric,

Someone else posted a similar issue without a solution here. Also, I have seen reports of Apple's Mighty Mouse suddenly stop working -- but (a) you might not have a Mighty Mouse, and (b) that doesn't explain the probably-not-coincidental timing.

Someone also posted a video on YouTube reporting the same problem. I may be missing something obvious, but I have no good suggestion here; your best bet may be to (gulp) reinstall the system. Be sure to do an "archive and install" or (if you're daring) an erase-and-install. Installing over an older system without archiving first is likely to make your life miserable, from the reports that I've seen.

Cheers,
Andrew

haiggy

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2003
Ontario, Canada
I've had this issue before as well... and I don't have a mighty mouse. I wasn't able to copy and paste and Safari and my right clicks were acting all weird. I restarted to fix the problem if I remember correctly. Only reoccurred one other time.

andrewm

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2004
Los Angeles, CA
This page has a post that may be of use to everyone afflicted with a copy/paste bug. It appears that some Logitech software (in this case for one of their computer remote controls) can cause issues.

The fix for the fellow who posted that article was to repair permissions from the Disk Utility.app program under /Applications/Utilities/.

Cheers,
Andrew

ETA: Logitech's software and drivers from other companies are not the only thing, however, that can cause issues with permissions. Some people say that repairing permissions is useless, too. I'd give it a go, however, as it won't hurt your system or your files -- sometimes seemingly-innocuous things can mess up permissions.

waiataMoana

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2009
command-c, command-v, alt-arrow not working in dreamweaver

running 10.5.6 i had a similar problem to the one described above.
I tried to repair permissions as suggested to no avail.
The problem item was simple to isolate though, after reading this post it was clear...i removed a recently installed printer driver (Lexmark z12) and I'm now back in business. hope this helps other dreamweaver users out there.

drdunga

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2009
Repairing permissions did not help me. But removing a recent printer (which wasn't working anyway) did help copy/paste functionality.
Cheers,
Dave

Reactions: komatsu

Techathome

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2012
Copy Paste not working in hotmail on a mac

One day, my keyboard shortcuts stopped working. I could no longer highlight any text or URLs within my MSN hotmail email and copy them to another location. I found this information on another blog within MacRumors.

From your hotmail account:

1. Select Options > More Options > Keyboard shortcuts
2. Turn off keyboard shortcuts.

This worked for me.

Reactions: komatsu

LABrown

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2017
command-c, command-v, alt-arrow not working in dreamweaver

running 10.5.6 i had a similar problem to the one described above.
I tried to repair permissions as suggested to no avail.
The problem item was simple to isolate though, after reading this post it was clear...i removed a recently installed printer driver (Lexmark z12) and I'm now back in business. hope this helps other dreamweaver users out there.
[doublepost=1489608863][/doublepost]For me the problem is intermitent and seems only to happen on Facebook or You Tube etc. All of a sudden no more cut and paste function after it was working just fine a moment earlier. If I reboot it will work again just fine. Brand new Mac Mini and a Logitech cordless mouse.

eosin

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2017
[doublepost=1489608863][/doublepost]For me the problem is intermitent and seems only to happen on Facebook or You Tube etc. All of a sudden no more cut and paste function after it was working just fine a moment earlier. If I reboot it will work again just fine. Brand new Mac Mini and a Logitech cordless mouse.
[doublepost=1492626062][/doublepost]Hi There, I too suddenly had the problem of not being able to cut and paste using short cuts while in the middle of working on a document. I eventually found that by going up to the "Edit" column and approaching the cut & paste the old-fashioned way, selecting 'Paste Special' while in a Word doc, that if I then changed the setting to "Formatted text", I could paste what I wanted into the word document, this being where the previously 'short cut copied' wouldn't paste. And it worked. Not sure if this is just a quick fix until I reboot, which I don't want to do just yet for fear of losing everything, but I'll find out soon enough.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.