Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ben1l

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 30, 2006
Hi all

I have recently bought a brand new Macbook Pro 2.4gh Intel Core 2 Duo, and was browsing through my iTunes looking for something to play... I had plugged into the headphone jack my pair of BOSE around-ear headphones and could hear a strange noise that sounded like electrical interference. I can only hear it when nothing is playing through the headphones, like the situation I mentioned above. And i know it is a problem exclusive to the MBP as it does not happen on my iMac, iPhone, iPod ect.... any ideas what may be causing it, of how to get it to stop....?

Thanks

Exist2Inspire

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2006
Is it plugged in all the way? I get a buzzing sound on my speakers when they aren't properly plugged in.

catachip

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2007
Vancouver, British Columbia
Hi all

I have recently bought a brand new Macbook Pro 2.4gh Intel Core 2 Duo, and was browsing through my iTunes looking for something to play... I had plugged into the headphone jack my pair of BOSE around-ear headphones and could hear a strange noise that sounded like electrical interference. I can only hear it when nothing is playing through the headphones, like the situation I mentioned above. And i know it is a problem exclusive to the MBP as it does not happen on my iMac, iPhone, iPod ect.... any ideas what may be causing it, of how to get it to stop....?

Thanks

Hey. I have the exact same system. What you're experiencing has occurred to myself and countless other SR MacBook Pro users. The audio system was not properly designed/shielded and is thus prone to interference from other electronic devices etc. I actually caught (no joke) faint short wave radio signals through my headphones while plugged into the MacBook Pro.

Unfortunately, the high Apple build quality was not applied to the audio system. There is no fix, aside from using higher impedance headphones, they filter out some of the interference.

Ben1l

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 30, 2006
That is crap!! this is really annoying me... what do apple say when people call them about it?

do they not get partial refunds or anything?

S600MBUSA

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2007
Georgia
Hey. I have the exact same system. What you're experiencing has occurred to myself and countless other SR MacBook Pro users. The audio system was not properly designed/shielded and is thus prone to interference from other electronic devices etc. I actually caught (no joke) faint short wave radio signals through my headphones while plugged into the MacBook Pro.

Unfortunately, the high Apple build quality was not applied to the audio system. There is no fix, aside from using higher impedance headphones, they filter out some of the interference.

Well, one can also use a Digital to Analog Converter connected to the USB or optical (headphone) port. Plug the headphones into the DAC, and you should receive a clean, proper signal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.