Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ibrainch

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 2, 2002
Chicago, IL
Just curious to see if people have switched their movie renting habits over to Apple TV/iTunes store? I definitely rent at least a movie a week on my Apple TV and really love that the selection has gotten a lot better. I wish that all new releases were available as rentals right away, but I guess I don't mind waiting 30 days for rentals. I also really love the integration with .Mac as I use this to post pictures so my family can view them (I have convinced my parents and brother to buy an Apple TV for this feature alone). Anyway, love to hear if people are finding their Apple TVs to be worthwhile...

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
I've rented one movie.

It worked well and was a nice experience.

However, the 24 hour view limit has turned me off. If it was 48 hours, I would use it more.

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
I rented about 8 movies so far, around 2 per month. I must say that I love the convenience though the price for the HD rentals could go down a Dollar.

I am only really waiting for HD purchases. I think I'd hardly buy Blu-Ray if they came out with that, only really special movies.
With the rentals on appleTV I don't even go to Blockbuster anymore.

kornyboy

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2004
Knoxville, TN (USA)
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

I have rented several. I'm probably in the 1 movie per week category as well. The main reason that I purchased it was due to the fact that I have a relatively large movie library that I have ripped from DVDs that I own and I wanted a really good way to get them to my tv instead of using my iPod.

The rental selection is improving and a good many of the digital rentals are now becoming available on the same day as their DVD release. I imagine that these things are only going to get better with time.

My one issue is with the 24 hour window. Sometimes things get interrupted and you can't complete a movie within the window. I find myself making time to watch the movie in one sitting ignoring the phone and door bell.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
5. I rented Live Free or Die Hard in HD. all my other rentals have been weekly $0.99 specials and I have only rented some of those:

The Hours
Changing Lanes
Time Bandits
Ronin

tom1971

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2007
I usually get the 0.99 $ movie as well as other movies on iTunes. I would say I rent about 2-3 movies per week. This is more than i used to rent from the video store.

I LOVE my Apple TV :D

Scarpad

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2005
Ma
Rented one movie and it was Fine. Most of the movies I've been interested in Renting have'nt been there, Like Romero's Diary of the Dead, not there.

Scott6666

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2008
Rented one movie as a test. Seemed to be on part with cable, but not dramatically better or more convenient. Would go with the lower cost between the two.

Everything on ATV is already available "on the net" so I tend not to bother with Apple. Also a lot of things on the net is a DIVX (or XVID) AVI so I send them to the TV on my PS3 or XBOX360. Turns out I hardly ever use my ATV. Not worth converting them to MP4's as the PS3/XB3 work just fine. Actually thinking of getting another PS3 to replace the ATV.

Also, the Redbox at our grocery store is $1 a disk so I find myself gravitating to Redbox rather than ATV.

Am a little more interested in ATV now that I can buy movies but even then, I am uncomfortable with the fact I cannot burn them to a DVD as a back-up. Don't really like DRM protected stuff because I fear that they will go away after a while (a la the Microsoft Music Store). I do buy songs from Apple since I can burn them and then rip to mp3.

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
Well being in the UK I have officially rented '0'. Unofficially however I have rented 5 or so. :p

I think for the AppleTV to REEEEAAAAALLY take off Apple need to sort movies out for other countries ASAP because that is holding everything back. They also need to get full HD i.e. 1080p content on there not the 720p thats not much better than the SD stuff.

If 1080p was available especially to buy and pretty much regardless of filesize I would be all over it. Instead I am getting sick of ripping DVDs because movies are not available in the UK I am infact looking into getting a BD player because the AppleTV doesn't seem to be going anywhere.

I dont doubt Apple will have a plan to get Full HD content out there but how far away it is, is anyones guess.

AppleTV is failing because Apple dont know what to do with it, its clear. Buy SD, no wait... rent SD & HD but can't buy HD. Now more buy options and less rentals, still no HD buy option. What the hell is going on?

Why cant they have the option to 'buy and rent' every movie on offer in either SD or HD? Surely that is easier to keep track of for both Apple and the consumer?

Sorry, rant over. My AppleTV is getting on my nerves a bit now. I was promised alot, but have received nothing. :(

stagi

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2006
I have just rented 3, if they had a bigger selection of movies I would probably rent more though.

yotoad

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2008
i rent 1-2 a week and have since i got the :apple:TV in Feb. i'm still looking for more of the iTunes purchase titles to be available to rent -- there are some documentaries i'm looking forward to watching but don't want to own.

MikieMikie

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2007
Newton, MA
3. All of them were $.99 rentals. All were HD.

I find the iTunes rates far more expensive than my Blockbuster rentals. (I would probably not buy due to the DRM issues.) I am still using my Apple TV as if it were a 1.1 box, streaming my ripped DVDs, syncing my music, etc.

What would get me to rent more? Less $ per rental.

godslabrat

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2007
Every movie I've had the itch to rent was not listed on iTunes. I've kind of lost interest. Apple starts renting movies online, and the end result is that I opened up a Netflix account.

Tennesotans

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2007
Seven:
SuperBad, The Savages(HD), No Country For Old Men (HD), Once, Michael Clayton (HD), Waitress, The Cooler

mallbritton

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2006
I've rented about 6-8 and plan to rent more. The experience was just fine. The Hi Def rental price could be a dollar less, but I'm not really going to quibble over that too much. It's in line with Hi Def PPV I can get from DirecTV.

Regards,
Michael

slate1

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2006
About 1/week + the .99 movie of the week

In addition to about 1 HD rental / week I've rented almost all of the .99 movies - except for "Saved"...

dbwie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2007
Albuquerque, NM, USA
1-2 per week

I have rented 1-2 per week. I especially like having access to some Hollywood classics that I may not otherwise have rented without seeing a preview first.

rscott505

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2008
I have rented at least twenty movies. Part of this number is because I rent movies for our kids, and sometime I rent the same movie twice for them. (Eventually, I buy the movies).

As for renting movies for my wife and me, it is an amazing means to just rent a movie with very little effort. No going to the store or waiting for the mail. As for the new NefFlix box, it doesn't have new titles, and from what I hear the quality is just not that good.

I love my :apple:TV.

pjarvi

macrumors 65816
Jan 11, 2006
Clovis, CA
I've rented about 10 so far. I would gladly rent more, but the selection is lacking. I mostly rent older action or comedy flicks. Just watched Beverly Hills Cop II last night.

For the sake of other people, especially those with families, I do hope that Apple extends the viewing period.

levitynyc

macrumors 65816
Aug 19, 2006

Die Hard 4 (sucked)
Transformers (awesome)
Dumbo ( just felt like watching it)

I would rent more if more was available in HD

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.