Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

awulf

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 1, 2002
South Australia
At school the windows machines are on the domain "student.local" e.g. the server is "mbhs.student.local". Currently the macs recieve their IP address from that server, but the domain that the macs recieve is "local" e.g. "iMac02.local" but the macs needs to be on the same domain name as the windows machines, so it should be "iMac02.student.local".

Does anyone know how to do this?
Thanks

Sunrunner

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2003
You should be able to change the ethernet connection settings in the network preference pane from DHCP, (where I assume your settings are currently set) to manual. You should then be able to change the domain to whatever you would like, (assuming you have admin privleges).

awulf

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 1, 2002
South Australia
"Configure IPv4" is set to "Using DHCP" and under "Search Domains" it is set to "student.local" but it isn't working as it schould.

MoparShaha

Contributor
May 15, 2003
San Francisco
Go to Applications>Utilities>Directory Access. Then click on "Active Directory". From here you should be able to change your domain settings and make your mac talk with the Active Directory system Windows Server uses.

awulf

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 1, 2002
South Australia
It comes up with the error below in the screen shot, that's why I'm trying to figure out how to make the domain name of the iMac, imac02.student.local since it has problems talking to the server over the network since it is imac02.local, I even tried ADmitMac but that comes up with the same error.

I can not ping the server via "mbhs.student.local" but only via IP, I tried adding the server in the in "/etc/hosts", where I was then able to ping "mbhs.student.local" but still couldn't bind to the Active Directory.

Using the "ADmitMac Network Browser", it found the Active Directory server, but under the ADmitMac plug-in, it couldn't bind.

So all of this is a bit weird, and some how is linked to the domain names.

Attachments

• screenshot.jpg
    screenshot.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 936
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.