Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ripkord

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 19, 2007
Glasgow, Scotland
Hi guys - recently updated leopard to the latest patch and since then my powerbook will no longer automatically join my wifi network (wep protected).

It worked fine before the upgrade, I have searched the forums and discussions.apple and have seen various "solutions" but none have worked for me.

I have tried resetting (battery pull reset)
Deleting the preferred networks & rebooting
Deleting the keychain entries & rebooting
Deleting the airport plists and rebooting

has anyone got any other solutions?

One thing I have noticed since I isntalled leopard as well is - when I connect to my wifi (manually) it says connection timeout - even though it blatantly hasnt and works fine??

Related??

Very annoying regardsless...

Thanks for the help :)

merl1n

macrumors 65816
Mar 30, 2008
New Jersey, USA
Hi guys - recently updated leopard to the latest patch and since then my powerbook will no longer automatically join my wifi network (wep protected).

It worked fine before the upgrade, I have searched the forums and discussions.apple and have seen various "solutions" but none have worked for me.

I have tried resetting (battery pull reset)
Deleting the preferred networks & rebooting
Deleting the keychain entries & rebooting
Deleting the airport plists and rebooting

has anyone got any other solutions?

One thing I have noticed since I isntalled leopard as well is - when I connect to my wifi (manually) it says connection timeout - even though it blatantly hasnt and works fine??

Related??

Very annoying regardsless...

Thanks for the help :)

When you try to join the network and it requests a password (WEP) are you typing in the hexadecimal password generated by your router when you set up the WEP security?

Also did you do the following after the upgrade?

PRAM reset
Repair permissions

ripkord

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 19, 2007
Glasgow, Scotland
Thanks, I did repair permissions - not the PRAM though will do that now.

The WEP password hasnt changed - nothing has. Dunno whats wrong :(

merl1n

macrumors 65816
Mar 30, 2008
New Jersey, USA
Thanks, I did repair permissions - not the PRAM though will do that now.

The WEP password hasnt changed - nothing has. Dunno whats wrong :(

Yes, but in your previous post you stated you deleted all of the preferred networks and keychain entries. You must have been prompted to provide a password when you added it back.

pjgeer

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2007
Getting the same thing, but I am still on Tiger, did a HD swap (June 6th, 08) and re-installed all the updates and had the old HD copied over by firewire. When I got home (June 8th), had to log back into the wi-fi network, now it does not auto link back up to my home network, I have to pick my it each time I wake-up the machine. I have asked it to auto connect to know network, but that hasn't helped.

Pj

merl1n

macrumors 65816
Mar 30, 2008
New Jersey, USA
Getting the same thing, but I am still on Tiger, did a HD swap (June 6th, 08) and re-installed all the updates and had the old HD copied over by firewire. When I got home (June 8th), had to log back into the wi-fi network, now it does not auto link back up to my home network, I have to pick my it each time I wake-up the machine. I have asked it to auto connect to know network, but that hasn't helped.

Pj

So are you saying that you can connect manually, but the auto connect feature doesn't work? You first post said that even manually you couldn't connect.

pjgeer

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2007
So are you saying that you can connect manually, but the auto connect feature doesn't work? You first post said that even manually you couldn't connect.

I am not the thread stater, just another poster having a similar issue, that has started recently. For me, Before HD swap, auto connected each and everytime, after HD swap manual connect required.

Pj

merl1n

macrumors 65816
Mar 30, 2008
New Jersey, USA
I am not the thread stater, just another poster having a similar issue, that has started recently. For me, Before HD swap, auto connected each and everytime, after HD swap manual connect required.

Pj

Oops. Sorry.

You wouldn't by chance be referring specifically to a PB 12" would you?

I have the same issue on my PB12" and have to connect manually, but my PB 15" has no problem.

ripkord

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 19, 2007
Glasgow, Scotland
Sorry just to clarify - I can connect manually it just wont connect automatically to the preferred network like it should, - yes i had to re-enter my password but have triple checked it and all my other devices (xbox, ps3 etc) all connect fine.

Seems to be a recurring problem with some people - there are a few threads on it but nothing has worked :(

Thanks

pjgeer

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2007
Merl, I am on a 15" G4 PB as well. Running latest update of Tiger. I reset permissions, did that didn't help.

Then I noticed that I no longer have the option to join by default "perferred networks" just "selected networks". Tonight going to try to reset my entire wi-fi hook-up and see if that has any effect.:rolleyes:

Pj

merl1n

macrumors 65816
Mar 30, 2008
New Jersey, USA
Merl, I am on a 15" G4 PB as well. Running latest update of Tiger. I reset permissions, did that didn't help.

Then I noticed that I no longer have the option to join by default "perferred networks" just "selected networks". Tonight going to try to reset my entire wi-fi hook-up and see if that has any effect.:rolleyes:

Pj

I no longer have the "join by default" option either, but I don't think that is included in Leopard as an option. If you find an answer, please post it. I spent too much time on this already. All of my computers connect automatically, with the exception of the PB 12" in question. That one I have to connect manually by selecting the Network.

merl1n

macrumors 65816
Mar 30, 2008
New Jersey, USA
MacFixit posted a "possible" solution to this problem, but it didn't work for me (and I posted a comment under user "hmgood")

Here it is anyway in case you want to try it.

Today's Featured Article
Late-Breakers
Tuesday, June 17 2008 @ 09:45 AM PDT
Mac OS X 10.5.3: Airport stops automatically connecting to preferred network

AirPort hardware may stop connecting to proferred networks after the Mac OS X 10.5.3 update, instead waiting for user input to regain connection to the desired wireless network. After connecting to the network again the connection may drop out once or twice, but soon stabilizes and seems to work fine; however, it may take a couple of tries before the connection gets to this stable state:

As written by Apple Discussions poster iruhkoi:

"In order to connect, I have to manually click on the wireless icon, wait for the AirPort to finish "searching," and then select my network's name once it appears in the list...After clicking on my network's name, the connection will drop out in 3-5 seconds. I must then wait as the AirPort repeats the process of 'searching', then the network's name will reappear in the list and I can reclick on the name. The connection remains stable thereafter."

Airport issues such as this have started for users who have upgraded to the 10.5.3 release of Leopard, though similar problems have persisted for others since installing Leopard 10.5.0.

Fixes

Remove plist files

/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.airport.preferences.plist
/Library/Preferences/com.apple.internetconfig.plist
/Library/Preferences/com.apple.internetconfigpriv.plist
The first file is stored in the Library folder at the root of the hard drive (not the one in the user's home folder), while the second two are located in the user library folder. Upon removing these file, restart the computer.

Remove the airport network password keychain entries In the "keychain access" utility, search for "Airport" and remove all entries for it, especially those with names of networks you have connected to (be sure to write down account information for these keychain entries beforehand). Additionally, run a keychain repair to ensure the keychains are functioning correctly.

Clean up configuration Many users have installed enhancement "haxie" software that either enables hidden features of the operating system, or adds new functionality to the OS. Uninstalling these utilities may get rid of incompatibilities, especially if these packages access network resources. Additionally, remove unneeded login items such as iStats (which seems to be a commonly used program for users who're affected with this problem).

Turn on the option to disconnect from wireless networks when logging out In the Network system preferences, click the Airport connection and then click the Advanced button. Under the "AirPort" tab, ensure the option to "Disconnect from wireless networks when loging out" is checked. This may ensure that no problems occur with Airport attempting to maintain connections when you shut off or log out.

Turn Bluetooth off If Bluetooth connectivity is not needed, disabling it may help this issue.

Workarounds

Some users have used third-party wireless solutions, bypassing Airport altogether. Since it appears that this problem has to do with Apple's airport setup, including drivers and configuration, one user found that getting a third-party wireless card and connecting with that seemed to help bypass the AirPort problems. If you have access to a wireless card, installing and configuring it may help the situation; at least until Apple solves the many AirPort problems in Leopard.

Mac OS X 10.5.3: Airport stops automatically connecting to preferred network | 2 comments |

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.

Authored by: macsteffen1 on Tuesday, June 17 2008 @ 10:25 AM PDT
On both my Macs an 2.8 Ghz 24" iMac and an Macbook, Airport seems to ignore the Ethernetport, , in Airport tools it states that there is no connection to Ethernet ??Have testet different cables, so it don't seems to bee a cableproblem?

---

Authored by: hmgood on Tuesday, June 17 2008 @ 11:47 AM PDT
I followed this procedure (all of it) and it didn't work on my PB12". I even did a Safe Boot and reset the PRAM.

After subsequent reboots, sometimes it connected automatically, sometimes it didn't and other times, it made a temporary connection then dropped it then reconnected then dropped it again forcing me to manually connect to my network.

pjgeer

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2007
Merl1n, I am on Tiger still ;).

My issue was fixed. My network location had been changed from Home to Automatic. When I changed it back to Home, the peferred network option came back and after chosing my network and doing a restart, (due to updates) the Aiport found my network and connected on it's own.

Pj

merl1n

macrumors 65816
Mar 30, 2008
New Jersey, USA
Merl1n, I am on Tiger still ;).

My issue was fixed. My network location had been changed from Home to Automatic. When I changed it back to Home, the peferred network option came back and after chosing my network and doing a restart, (due to updates) the Aiport found my network and connected on it's own.

Pj

Unfortunately, I already use a Home Location with a static IP address and I'm on Leopard.

I spent another 3 hours this morning searching other forums and the Apple discussions forum and found this out:

This problem is related to an airport card firmware upgrade and Apple is aware of it. The problem does not affect all Airport cards, just some of them (which would explain why all of my computers - 2 intels and another PB) are not having problems. Just this PB12" one my mother-in-law uses.

It will be fixed by Apple in the next firmware update for the Airport Card. When this will happen? Your guess is as good as mine.

J@ffa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2002
Behind you!
You should upgrade to WPA encryption. This might fix your problem (I'm not sure if this issue is WEP-specific), and even if it doesn't you should do it anyway. WEP sucks so, so much. It can be hacked in 10-15 minutes tops by GUI apps you can download easily, and if you've got security turned out then I'm guessing you'd prefer your network to actually be secure.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.