Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Philming

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 13, 2008
Hi all !
I need to find a way to recover the Admin password on a Leopard based machine. I'm working on it with admin privileges. It's important that I do not reset it. Just recovery would be great; Is there a way?
Thanx and best regards,

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003
Why do you need to recover it and not just be able to reset it? On the face of it your request seems highly suspicious.

costabunny

macrumors 68020
May 15, 2008
Weymouth, UK
Ok, Format the hard drive, Put a Linux Distro in the drive and reboot.....(Oh wait no thats wrong sorry - thats the advice for Windows users..)

seriously, I am not sure you can recover the password. Resetting it is a fairly simple task, but Ive never had to recover.

Why can you not reset it? (may help in advising you what to do)

Philming

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 13, 2008
Long story short, the machine is shared among different persons, including me, sharing the same account. And for the time being, my co-workers are on vacation. I dont want to hastle them by calling them up, so I'm trying to find a way myself. Plus so I'll know how it's done in the future.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
Long story short, the machine is shared among different persons, including me, sharing the same account. And for the time being, my co-workers are on vacation. I dont want to hastle them by calling them up, so I'm trying to find a way myself. Plus so I'll know how it's done in the future.

a shared work computer? turn the keyboard around. 70% chance the password is written down there.

aside of that i think you're out of luck.

Philming

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 13, 2008
I dont really get this thing with the "wrong idea". I mean, should I actually be having one, I guess that'd be my business wouldn't it be?
So anyway, there's absolutely nothing malicious in my intentions, just looking for ways to get things done by myself, thanx all the same.

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003
We're suspicious that it isn't just your business. We're suspicious that you're trying to figure out the password on someone else's computer so you can always have access to it without their knowledge. It's nothing personal against you, it's just that this is a very dubious sounding thing you're asking. I'm pretty sure it's not possible anyway.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Typically "recovering password" requests are made by newbies under suspicious manners with all kinds of weak excuses.

Guess what? There is no way to "recover" password. Period.

Xavier

macrumors demi-god
Mar 23, 2006
Columbus
As far as I know, there is no possible way to find the admin password. There are a few ways of changing it though.

Philming

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 13, 2008
No excuse from my part. I'm being asked the reason why, I just tell it.
Oh sorry, I forgot to mention. I must be an Iraki terrorist, that's why I ask.
End of discussion for me.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
You can't recover a password - it's stored in a non-reversible encrypted format. You can change it if you are an administrator (obviously) but apart from that you're pretty much stuck

funnyfish7

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2008
I need to no 2

I really want to no how to recover the password without changing it. :confused:

Im on my dads mac and it wont let me play WoW!

Preposterous! :eek:

ive changed the admin password on many macs but this is not the same situation

he cant no that i changed it :p

so if there is anyway PLEASE tell me

im not gonna go hack steve jobbs or anything i just wanna play wow lol

thanks ;)

taylorwilsdon

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2006
New York City

Preposterous! :eek:

ive changed the admin password on many macs but this is not the same situation

he cant no that i changed it :p

so if there is anyway PLEASE tell me

im not gonna go hack steve jobbs or anything i just wanna play wow lol

thanks ;)
Maybe you should re-read this whole thread and see if you can get an idea of what answers you'll get.

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003

Hah, your situation is the exact reason why admin passwords exist. The admin password exists so that nothing can be done to a person's computer without the owner knowing about it. And your Dad is the owner of that computer. Sorry.

If you get a job to pay for your own computer so that you can play WOW on it whenever you like, depending on what age you are, I'm sure your dad would be thrilled with that idea.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
You can't recover a password - it's stored in a non-reversible encrypted format. You can change it if you are an administrator (obviously) but apart from that you're pretty much stuck

Bingo.

Linkety to an article.

You can have a program guess every single combination, but you'll be at it for ~100,000 years. On average.

heatmiser

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2007
Wow. Yet another transparent attempt to gain access to an unauthorized computer.

"Don't want to bother my coworkers"?

It's bad enough you're trying to break in to a computer without knowledge or permission from the owner.

Now you're taking us for fools with a poorly-thought out story. Shame.

And by the way, the word is Iraqi.

jbrown

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2002
London
"...I dont want to hastle them by calling them up...."

Pur-leeeese...even I could do better than that.....:cool:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
The sad part is, someone out there probably is lamenting their stolen Mac, while thieves routinely come to this forum, trying to sucker us into helping them break into them. If you share a Mac with people at work and forget the password, there's no shame in calling them and saying, "Hey, I've got to get some work done and forgot the password." And there's certainly no shame in changing the password so you can get work done and telling them the new password when they get back..... unless, of course, it's all a lie!

Philming

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 13, 2008
With a stolen mac, I'd robably just reset the pasword or reformat the hard drive alltogother wouldn't I? Some here seem to be so smart...
Thanx - again - to al those who just gave me a simple answer, without feeling the need to be insulting.

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
I'm working on it with admin privileges.

You shouldn't need the other user's password. If you are already an admin, you can use sudo to escalate your privileges to access files that you might not own.

I guess the question is - What exactly are you trying to do? access a file? run a program? etc...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.