Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How old are you?

• under 12

Votes: 11 1.4%
  • 13-15

Votes: 37 4.6%
  • 16-18

Votes: 118 14.8%
  • 19-21

Votes: 127 15.9%
  • 22-24

Votes: 89 11.1%
  • 25-27

Votes: 78 9.8%
  • 28-30

Votes: 51 6.4%
  • 30-35

Votes: 95 11.9%
  • 36-40

Votes: 48 6.0%
  • 40-stone age

Votes: 146 18.3%

• Total voters

WhySoSerious

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
Dallas, TX
Now before this get's moved, please realize the study of this. This is related to the iPhone in all regards.

I'm seeing a ton of posts here with concerns about how "expensive" the data plan is ($30), or people seeking reassurance on how "easy" it is to type since they are coming from another phone, or how anything over $299 is "too much", etc, etc.

I would just like to get a rough idea of the age range of people here discussing the iPhone. It seems a lot less business users or the older crowd are posting and more of the younger, under 18 crowd.

Just curious folks.

vandozza

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2006
Australia
28 yo
own business
australia

max spend on an iphone/plan per month is $100 AU

preferred spend on an iphone/plan per month would be $69-79 AU

djransom

macrumors 601
May 14, 2008
Chi-Town
I'm 27 and coming from a Blackberry Curve I have no problem with the data plan as I was paying for it when I had my Curve. The Curve wasn't even 3G.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
I'm 41 (stone age) and I could "afford" an iPhone but I don't think it's worth the money.
Same here -- stone age! :)

It's not that the iPhone and plan costs too much to afford. That's the easy part. The hard part, or issue if you will, is whether or not you want to allocating your funds towards this particular gadget instead of using those funds for something else.

alejovh1

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2008
35 and the unlimited data plan on my treo (verizon) was 44 bucks!
I'm ok with all the iphone prices:D

Bosox3

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2007
Nope, no more texts with the basic plan.

Do we know that for a fact though? Ive heard soo many different reports on it. Some even from att reps.
I'd wait till July 11th to really know whats going on.

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Aug 28, 2007
San Francisco California, USA
Hold on, I need to check with my "Mommy" to see if I can post my age on the internet...

Alright she said it's OK: Hello, I'm STONE AGE! Though, it wreaks of "ageism" I had to answer this poll with a painful grimace, knowing the "stone age crowd" will represent whether in wheelchairs, with a cane, or with a walker. :mad:

WhySoSerious

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
Dallas, TX
Hold on, I need to check with my "Mommy" to see if I can post my age on the internet...

Alright she said it's OK: Hello, I'm STONE AGE! Though, it wreaks of "ageism" I had to answer this poll with a painful grimace, knowing the "stone age crowd" will represent whether in wheelchairs, with a cane, or with a walker. :mad:

lol....sorry, was just trying to have fun with the 40+ crowd. I'm 29.....so i'm almost there with you. ;)

HDJulie

macrumors demi-goddess
Jun 13, 2008
Little Rock, AR
I'm one of the stone age crowd -- I have no problem with the designation. I got the iphone because I can actually see the screen. My mother, obviously also one of the stone age crowd, wants one too -- she thinks they are cool.

gadgetdad

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2007
On my iPhone
42, but act like I'am 12 if that matters.

Price is not really a concern for me. However what is a concern is the benefit I get from spending 300.00 bucks for a new 16g iPhone that will replace my 16g iPhone I just got in February.

The software will work on mine just fine. I already have a new GPS unit in my car and have no issues with speed on my iPhone. So to me, it just comes down to a waste of money. Plus I love my metal back on my iPhone.

Just my 2.5 cents

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
42, but act like I'am 12 if that matters.

Price is not really a concern for me. However what is a concern is the benefit I get from spending 300.00 bucks for a new 16g iPhone that will replace my 16g iPhone I just got in February.

The software will work on mine just fine. I already have a new GPS unit in my car and have no issues with speed on my iPhone. So to me, it just comes down to a waste of money. Plus I love my metal back on my iPhone.

Just my 2.5 cents

Good points. Those are the same reasons that I have for not getting the 3G iPhone. I even got my iPhone around the same time as you (Feb. 17th). I even got a new one about 1.5 weeks ago because a bubble formed on my screen and I brought it to the Genius Bar and they gave me a new one- so now I have a brand new, scratch-free, dent-free, mint iPhone. There's no way I need to abandon it for the 3G.

Maybe we should start a new thread titled: "Waiting for the 3rd Generation iPhone", because that's what I'm waiting for!

Oh yeah, 32 here.

iphonematt

Jul 10, 2007
I'm 15 and have no problem with the cost of the data plan becuse my parents pay for it...
Here is the way I look at it. For a Palm or BlackBerry, the data is $45/month so $30 seems pretty good!

ACbc

macrumors member
May 14, 2007
I'm 26. The price is a bit high for me, since i'm a Sprint customer from way back and have been paying about 35 bucks a month for my cell phone bill (300 anytime, unlimited nights and weekends, 200 SMS, no data), but the iphone plan is still definitely affordable. I wish it were cheaper (i mean...who doesn't?), but the price seems "fair" to me and it wont stop me from buying a 3G iphone when it comes out. I purposely did NOT buy the first gen iPhone to wait for this one as fast data transfer speeds is a hot button for me.

So, what really irks me was watching the key note speech and hearing 'twice as fast, half the price', and 'one of our goals was to make the iphone affordable, blah blah blah', and then afterwards, the data plan price increase were being unveiled quietly....just rubbed me the wrong way as a consumer.

but whatever....i (literally) dream about having an iPhone and July 11th can't come fast enough.

razorianfly

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2007
Cheshire, United Kingdom
18. Switching to iPhone in Summer 09 :cool:
Unfortunately, I've just entered (Jan 08) into an 18th/mo contract with o2 here in the UK - as I wasn't at all tempted by iPhone G1.

iPod touch has shown me just how good the iPhone can be interface-wise.
iPhone 3G sold it for me, 3G & GPS.

The data plans don't bother me,
I'm already paying £30/mo

R-Fly

ipodtouchy333

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2007
US
I'm 26. The price is a bit high for me, since i'm a Sprint customer from way back and have been paying about 35 bucks a month for my cell phone bill (300 anytime, unlimited nights and weekends, 200 SMS, no data), but the iphone plan is still definitely affordable. I wish it were cheaper (i mean...who doesn't?), but the price seems "fair" to me and it wont stop me from buying a 3G iphone when it comes out. I purposely did NOT buy the first gen iPhone to wait for this one as fast data transfer speeds is a hot button for me.

So, what really irks me was watching the key note speech and hearing 'twice as fast, half the price', and 'one of our goals was to make the iphone affordable, blah blah blah', and then afterwards, the data plan price increase were being unveiled quietly....just rubbed me the wrong way as a consumer.
but whatever....i (literally) dream about having an iPhone and July 11th can't come fast enough.

I totally agree. Way to trick the 56% of people who said they couldn't afford it in the beginning. I mean this one is actually MORE expensive than the first, ridiculous!

But, I will be buying it and it will be my first iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.