Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hotnspicy601

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 19, 2008
San Antonio, Texas
When I play The Sims on my iMac, it gets very hot. When I quit the game, one of my widgets told me that my "Power Supply 1" was at 178 F and my "CPU A" was at 134 F.

Should I not play the game as much? Or how much heat can this computer handle??:confused:

AlexisV

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2007
Manchester, UK
New Mac, old Mac?

The alumunium iMac does get hot. It will hurt your hand if you put it on the aluminium casing too long!

If it's getting too hot, it will either freeze, the graphics will start corrupting or it will shut down.

We get lots of people on here studying temperature widgets and becoming terrified their machines are getting too hot. Don't worry, assuming your Mac is only a few years old, your Mac isn't overheating.

gehrbox

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2007
Charleston,SC
When I play The Sims on my iMac, it gets very hot. When I quit the game, one of my widgets told me that my "Power Supply 1" was at 178 F and my "CPU A" was at 134 F.

Should I not play the game as much? Or how much heat can this computer handle??:confused:

My 3Ghz iMac CPU A is at 110 F just browsing the web. I think your fine.

D4F

Sep 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Instal iStat menus and before you run the game set up the fans higher. This should keep it cooler.

While your temps are not a big deal it's a common knowledge that heat can cause damage. The cooler the better. Just don't go bonanza with the fans all the time as you might kill them :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.