Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cbw309

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 12, 2008
Ok so here’s my issue:
I have a white MacBook which I purchased in Dec of 2006.
I also have an Apple Care Warranty, however I have grown extremely tired of the long lines at the genius bar (even with an appointment) and I’m duly tired of the service reps at apple’s 1-800 service and the possible charge of $125+ to replace the keyboard! So if you have the solution to my problem PLEASE HELP!!!

I was cleaning my MacBook, as I usually do with a damp papertowel and when I started typing a few minutes after I finished, my “8” key started sticking. Not physically sticking or being held down, but it appeared on screen as if I was holding this key down, but I was not. Naturally, when anything begins to act odd on my Mac, I attempted to quit all applications and shut-down. But the response from the key “acting” like it was held down caused me to force shut down (held down power button for a few seconds). When I reboot now, I’m unable to log in because a few other keys are not working and some of them are in my password :( So I can’t log into my MacBook to get the floating keyboard in system preferences (The fun just doesn’t stop). I’ve seen posts for various spills on the macbook keyboard, but none describing what I have encountered. The Mac is powering up and behaving normally, trackpad works fine, from what I could see before shutdown and in trying to restart, so I don’t think any fluid got into the circuitry of the computer (it’s a mystery to me that any got in at all because the cloth was damp, not dripping wet). So the only thing I can think of is that some of the fluid on the cloth got under a few keys. If anyone, knows how I can fix this without replacing the entire macbook keyboard, please help!!! Looming Deadline!!!

ryannel2003

macrumors 68000
Jan 30, 2005
Greenville, NC
Well my luck would have it my MacBook is now doing the same thing, except the whole left side of the keyboard does it, and a few keys do not respond at all. Cleaned it with a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser, and I guess I didn't wring it out enough. Well, suffice to say the internal keyboard is now useless. I'm having to type this on my BT Keyboard.

My guess is water seeped into the keys and is screwing with it. I'm calling Apple tomorrow and will see if they can send me a box to ship it back. If I have to pay $125+ or more, fine. I'm an idiot for doing it in the first place, I just want my MacBook back. I've tried restoring, re-installing keyboard firmware, and just doesn't work. Right hand side of the keyboard works perfectly fine. Trackpad is a little wonky, but not too bad.

Don't tell me to let it dry, the keys aren't responding at all. I've popped a few of the troubled ones up to clean out and it isn't helping. The computer is fine, Combo drive works, screen is good, camera is fine, just the keyboard. If it comes down to it, I'll replace the top portion myself. Doesn't look too difficult.

jrl176

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2008
Having the same problem

Did either of you get a resolution? What was the outcome?

I used a magic eraser to clean my keyboard today and stupidly turned it on right after. When I log on the computer acts like I'm continuously pushing a key, but I'm not. Then it stops. When I try to enter my password, I can't because my "a" key isn't working at all.

I'd love to hear how you resolved this issue!!

texasdervish

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2010
I have the same problem.

I was cleaning my brothers macbook with the Walmart brand magic eraser, and now the A, S, W, R, 2 keys don't work!

Anyone get a solution?

Thanks

fullojellybeans

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2010
Anyone get a solution?

here's a really good idea that works, if you're near a store of course. if your macbook has chipping on the palm rests just take it in the store and say that's your problem, don't mention the keys sticking, most likely they'll cover the chipping as part of the Repair Extension Program.

good luck with that. stop using abrasives to clean your machines. additionally, don't use windex on the screen. that really destroys the finish and gets through the very thin casing on the display itself causing white spots and dead pixels.

lastly, if you really want to get the keys on your macbook clean use alcohol pads, the kind you find in first aid kits. they dry as they clean and they don't seep through the bottom of the keyboard. you can also pick up the "good" ones at radio shack, best buy, walmart etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.