Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bob Dobbs

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
California
OK - I did a search for mail, read the 1st 2 pages of answers then gave up and am posting here...

In mail.app prefs do I set up a POP or IMAP? when i check my adelphia mail via safari the page that loads is this URL
http://webmail.adelphia.net is...incomming mail server? Thanks for any help

cpjakes

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2003
Buffalo, NY
Sort of...

The POP vs IMAP is up to you, IMAP leaves your mail on the server so that wherever you go, you can access all your messages through their webmail. POP will download the messages from their server and you will only have access to them locally on your Mac. If you use your mail account at home and work with different machines, I would recommend IMAP. If it's strictly for one machine, then POP is fine.

Your incoming (IMAP/POP) and outgoing (SMTP) servers are mail.adelphia.net, at least that's what a quick search came up with.

You may need to find something more specific, but the webmail.adelphia.net is only for web access to your email. But you need your same username/password to retrieve and possibly send your mail.

Good luck!

cpjakes

Bob Dobbs

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
California
THANK YOU - you did it,
it was the mail.adelphia.net
not the webmail.adelphia.net

seems like a no brainer now...

also thanks for the IMAP vs. POP info

cpjakes

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2003
Buffalo, NY
Glad it worked for you...

I wasn't at home with my Adelphia setup, so I was just guessing on some of it.

Another note about the IMAP/POP debate for you though - you can "mix" them in a sense. I have local mail folders on my TiBook where I store mail that I don't need access to all the time. This is also an issue for limits placed on adelphia's server. If you have a lot of mail, local folders will help. But I also have IMAP folders with email that is more accessible away from my local mail. I would suggest you use IMAP and local folders, as long as you remember where everything is. Just another thing to experiment with...

cpjakes

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.