Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tastrike

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 21, 2007
I'm trying to stream media from my macbook over my local network to an xbox running XBMC. I believe I need to do it through smb but I haven't had much luck up to this point. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

sassenach74

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2008
Spain
I'm trying to stream media from my macbook over my local network to an xbox running XBMC. I believe I need to do it through smb but I haven't had much luck up to this point. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

I'm very new to Macs, so I don't know what smb is, but I intend to connect my xbox to my iMac using connect360, which is software made by nullriver.
If I've completely misunderstood your problem then I apologize in advance.

Link: http://www.nullriver.com/products/connect360

PLin

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2003
I'm assuming you're talking about XMBC on the original Xbox. If so, you will have to enable SMB file sharing on the Mac. Depending on whether you're using Tiger or Leopard, the procedure is slightly different.

In Tiger, you go to the Sharing preferences pane and enable Windows sharing and enable your user account.

In Leopard, you go to the Sharing preferences pan and enable File Sharing, and then click the Options button and check the SMB box and enable your account.

Then, you have to edit the XBMC XML file in several places to point to your Mac. If you let me know exactly which part you are having trouble with, I can give you more help.

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
I'm assuming you're talking about XMBC on the original Xbox. If so, you will have to enable SMB file sharing on the Mac. Depending on whether you're using Tiger or Leopard, the procedure is slightly different.

In Tiger, you go to the Sharing preferences pane and enable Windows sharing and enable your user account.

In Leopard, you go to the Sharing preferences pan and enable File Sharing, and then click the Options button and check the SMB box and enable your account.

Then, you have to edit the XBMC XML file in several places to point to your Mac. If you let me know exactly which part you are having trouble with, I can give you more help.
I just got XBMC installed this weekend and am doing exactly what you say, but unfortunately the response time is unbearably slow, even on a wired connection (I am assuming that the XBOX only uses 10/100 ethernet - am I right?); over wireless g I would consider it useless, although it streams OK once it gets going. I suppose the bottleneck is my Macbook and its internal drive; would an external NAS be much better? I have tried going direct with VIDEO_TS folders (very slow to start), img or iso files, and mp4/mpv files created with Handbrake. FF and RWND are intolerable using the Handbrake files, but works just fine with the VIDEO_TS and iso/img files. Do you have any hints to make things smoother?

tastrike

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 21, 2007

I do have the file sharing on with a new user setup as "xbox". I am giving that user permission to a shared folder.

I guess I'm having trouble with the XML file editing. What needs to be done to it? Thanks!

Oh Yeah...I am using an original xbox.

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
I do have the file sharing on with a new user setup as "xbox". I am giving that user permission to a shared folder.

I guess I'm having trouble with the XML file editing. What needs to be done to it? Thanks!

Oh Yeah...I am using an original xbox.
If you don't want to directly edit the XML file you can add the shares via the XBMC GUI like I did. I'm at work now so I don't have access to my xbox, but I think I selected Video or Music or Pictures from the main screen, then selected 'add share' or 'add source' or something like that; you can also select it from the context menu). This gives you a screen where you can enter the information directly or browse, and enter the details, including IP address, share name, username, and password. Hope this makes sense.

PLin

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2003
If you don't want to directly edit the XML file you can add the shares via the XBMC GUI like I did. I'm at work now so I don't have access to my xbox, but I think I selected Video or Music or Pictures from the main screen, then selected 'add share' or 'add source' or something like that; you can also select it from the context menu). This gives you a screen where you can enter the information directly or browse, and enter the details, including IP address, share name, username, and password. Hope this makes sense.

I completely forgot you could do it that way. I haven't used XBMC is quite some time. I always edited the xml file, since it's faster to type all the info in with a keyboard. I think the file is called default.xml

tastrike

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 21, 2007

I'm having issues connecting to the macbook from the xbox. The connection either gets denied, or an error occurs. I have the firewall turned off as well.

There is a possibility I have the WINS (I think...I'm at work as well) Network Connection set up wrong.?. Should I not even be using this?
iPod Video 5G 30GB

bradswave

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2010
stream from mac 10.6.2 to xbmc with rivet

Hi Guys
I have been looking for a solution for ages and came across rivet. They don't officially support xbmc streaming from a mac but I have installed the app and it works like a charm - iphoto-itunes and shared folders like movies.
The have a demo version.
http://thelittleappfactory.com/

My set up is:
Mac 10.6.2 and old xbox running xbmc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.